• Register Today It's free!

Help.. Stock head unit removal

blyon28

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I have a 99 explorer XLT and I just purchased an aftermarket head unit. Looking at the stock head unit i could see no screws but 4 holes. I was wondering if anyone had any expeirence removing a stock head unit and could give me some tips, it's my first time attempting to install any audio equipment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a hanger and cut four 3" straight pieces out of it (they also sell the tool at Walmart from what I've heard). Grind the tips of one end to a dull point. Shove one in each of the holes. Then have someone help you. Gently push the ends out towards the doors and wiggle the deck while pulling head unit towards you. With a little bit of work it will slide out.

You can also use a small punch, but if you dont have one you just need something small enough to fit in the holes and sturdy enough to hold up when you push the punch towards the doors. also, you can do one side at a time if you have to

You could go to WalMart and get one of these for $5 or less:

Attachments

• DIN TOOL.jpeg
    DIN TOOL.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 180

I had a feeling the very last post would be what I was going to reply with :-D. Gimp hits it dead on. Ford OEM Stereo removal keys. Either wal mart or your local audio shop.

Back