2005, topped out at about 2000 rpm, 2 questions, video | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005, topped out at about 2000 rpm, 2 questions, video

CA

Reaction score
City, State
Klamath Falls Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT
I pulled away from a stop sign today in my (month old today since I bought it) 2005 XLT (now with 1169xx.x miles on the odometer). Got up to about 25 mph or so, about 2000 rpm or so, and it was like hitting a governor. That is to say that the engine sounded like it was revving up against a governor (hard to describe, but not a steady sound, kind of like a quick "thrumthrumthrumthrum" as if I was flooring and fluttering the throttle).

Wouldn't accelerate, could not gain above 25 or so mph. I coasted to the shoulder at idle, shut off the engine, restarted and all was normal. I understand the Rev Limiter situation, but isn't that only supposed to happen if you rev the engine with no load?

1. so... What WAS that?

2. And could it be related to the (also difficult to describe) "pinging" or high-pitched rattle I get on acceleration (it doesn't sound like any preignition pinging I've heard from vehicles in the past, but it might be because I've never owned anything this new or as well sound-insulated). It kind of sounds like a rattle more than a ping, and it happens whenever I give it throttle between about 2000 and +/- 2400 rpm.

(Edited 11/22 to reflect actual RPM where the sound occurs and adding a video in which the sound can be heard if you listen real closely... https://youtu.be/mlU8GVm6VKE )

Having the same problem with my 02, wont rev past 3000 rpm's. also i have no engine codes checked the TPS thinking that might have something to do with it but it checked out OK any suggestions????

just bought my 2001 , and won't go past 3500 rpms, same exact thing as you guys, please let me know if you have a fix.

Dave

Back