• Register Today It's free!

2005 transfer case question

lkreykes

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
Hi all, I have a 2005 explorer 4x4 and I need to replace the transfer case. There are several donors for sale around me, but I was wondering if my car having advance trac makes a difference on the t-case? The ones for sale around me are from 2002 or 2003 and the explorers they came out of didn't have adv trac. Do I need to find a non-control trac t-case since I have adv trac or can I use any transfer case from a 02-05 4x4? Thanks

The best advice I can give you is to search your VIN on the dealer parts website to find the correct part number you need. Compare that to the part numbers of the x-fer cases you are looking at. I'd certainly be getting the correct year/model for my own explorer if it were me. It could possibly be compatible with 2002-2005 models, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Best place to call for that answer would be a dealership repair garage. They will be able to provide you with the correct information. If they're jerks about it, call a different dealership. Most around me are always understanding and believe it or not want to save me money by helping me do it myself by providing advice/parts/etc.

The best advice I can give you is to search your VIN on the dealer parts website to find the correct part number you need. Compare that to the part numbers of the x-fer cases you are looking at. I'd certainly be getting the correct year/model for my own explorer if it were me. It could possibly be compatible with 2002-2005 models, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Best place to call for that answer would be a dealership repair garage. They will be able to provide you with the correct information. If they're jerks about it, call a different dealership. Most around me are always understanding and believe it or not want to save me money by helping me do it myself by providing advice/parts/etc.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a transfer case from a 2005 from a junk yard that had 100k less miles than mine (woo!) for cheap, and although the model number was 1 letter different, it installed just fine and works a charm.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a transfer case from a 2005 from a junk yard that had 100k less miles than mine (woo!) for cheap, and although the model number was 1 letter different, it installed just fine and works a charm.

Good to know! Sometimes parts cooperate with each other from different years

Back