2005 X 5r55s/w no forward gears

anti eloi

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hi everyone.
As the title says, I have a 5r55S/W that will not engage any forward gears at all. Reverse works normally.
I have dropped the pan and there is no debris and the fluid is like new. I have so have changed the solenoid pack with a known good one and there was no change in the symptoms. I am hoping it is a valve body issue and not the forward clutch. Any experienced information will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone.
As the title says, I have a 5r55S/W that will not engage any forward gears at all. Reverse works normally.
I have dropped the pan and there is no debris and the fluid is like new. I have so have changed the solenoid pack with a known good one and there was no change in the symptoms. I am hoping it is a valve body issue and not the forward clutch. Any experienced information will be greatly appreciated.
@anti eloi
You are "on top" of things. Forward Clutch is engaged in all gears except reverse. We are not talking about the '98 Ex you have listed, are we? Any codes thrown? Measure hydraulic pressure. A "no forward drive" condition is unable to tell the PCM whether shaft relative speeds are in line with acceptable. Valve body problem certainly can occur and not throw codes. imp

Thanks imp. No this is a 2005 ex. I "inherited' it. I am going to check the pressures this weekend. There are no codes. This particular transmission was a reman that I installed about 75k miles ago so I am reluctant to believe that the clutches are gone already. I will report the pressures ASAP. I have the ATSG manual with the reference pressure chart to use as a comparison and I will report both the manuals numbers as well as the numbers that I measure.

Well, I finally was able to measure some pressures. Since the explorer has no forward gears I was unable to measure at WOT. Here is the Line Pressure test from the ATSG manual.

Explorer/Mountaineer, Range Idle Line Pres WOT Line Press. Idle PC "C" Press. WOT PC "C" Press.
4.0L Engine P/N------------90-120psi - - - - 0-15psi- - - -
Reverse--------100-140psi---------282-380psi---------90-120psi--------112-134psi
(D), 3, 2, 1---------90-110psi------------228-263psi-------------0-15psi 0-15psi

The following are the pressures that I actually measured:

Range Idle Line Pres WOT Line Press. Idle PC "C" Press. WOT PC "C" Press.
P/N 150psi - - - - - - 80psi
Reverse 230psi - - - - - 80psi
(D), 3, 2, 1 150,150,150,150psi 80,80,80,80psi

The Line Pressure tap is on the drivers side aft of the shift linkage. The pressure Control Tap "C" is on the passenger side aft of the servos.
The line pressures at idle look high especially Reverse which works but does slam into gear sometimes. The control pressures look very suspicious since they are all the same and slowly build up to 80psi in all gears.
Have any of you guys worked on this transmission and understand what these pressures mean?
Any insights would be appreciated.
The next inevitable step is to remove and disassemble the valve-body looking for signs of leaks or stuck valves.
I have already changed the solenoid pack with a known good one and the same symptoms persisted.

It looks like my post got reformatted and is completely unreadable
To restate....I only measured at idle due to the vehicle not being drivable.
Reverse works but slams into gear some times.
I measured line pressures that were higher than the specs for all gears including reverse.
I measured the control pressures all at 80 and they built slowly up to that pressure

Back