5r55s/w no forward gears copper in fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55s/w no forward gears copper in fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti eloi

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hi everyone. I have a 2005 4.0L 4WD Explorer with the 5r55s/w. the symptoms are: No Forward gears at all. Reverses works normally except it slams into gear sometimes. I have removed the valve body and didn't see any glaring problems but I am not experienced with automatic transmissions. I was able to move all of the spools that I could access and the sealing surfaces looked good on the gaskets. When I dropped the valve body the fluid that came out from above it had a lot of copper flakes and a few 1/4 inch thin, semi-circular shaped pieces like they might be a thrust washer or something similar. I have to believe that there are not very many parts made out of copper used in this transmission. Does anyone know which parts are copper? My next step is to pull the trans and tear it down. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone. I have a 2005 4.0L 4WD Explorer with the 5r55s/w. the symptoms are: No Forward gears at all. Reverses works normally except it slams into gear sometimes. I have removed the valve body and didn't see any glaring problems but I am not experienced with automatic transmissions. I was able to move all of the spools that I could access and the sealing surfaces looked good on the gaskets. When I dropped the valve body the fluid that came out from above it had a lot of copper flakes and a few 1/4 inch thin, semi-circular shaped pieces like they might be a thrust washer or something similar. I have to believe that there are not very many parts made out of copper used in this transmission. Does anyone know which parts are copper? My next step is to pull the trans and tear it down. Thanks in advance for any insight.
@anti eloi
I found a tiny pile of bronze bits (you might think copper) on top of the valve body, '04 5R55S. Symptom was no Torque Converter Clutch Lockup. Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid had failed. The bits of bronze came from the bushing it's plunger rode in.

In your case I am guessing one of the Pressure Control Solenoids has failed; there are 3. GUESSING is all youcan do until you check for trouble code(s) generated. If code indicates solenoid failure, the entire module containing 8 solenoids must be replaced. Before doing that, there are specific tests which can be run to check each solenoid both electrically and mechanically. imp

I just finished the tear down and so far what I have found is the overdrive servo piton rod broken in half at the oil hole.
The transmission looks new inside. I will inspect individual components tomorrow. My symptoms were no forward movement in any gear so Maybe the broken rod was bleeding off the pressure to the forward clutch.

Reactions: imp

pics of broken part

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back