2006 4.6L V8 Eddie Bauer Towing Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 4.6L V8 Eddie Bauer Towing Question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Quad Cab Rams are very uncomfortable in my opinion. That's why I went with 2006 MegaCab years ago. But it was just waaaay to big for my needs, very comfy cruising a highway, horrible in the city.
11 MPG was the norm empty, no trailer. But megacabs are built on 2500 chassis with solid axle in the front so turning radius is about a quarter mile :)
The 1500 Rams are softer but the utility of an enclosed space in the SUV is priceless. The explorer will do everything you need it to do.

I appreciate the words of wisdom.

The truck is pretty big even with the Quad Cab. I am leaning more towards the explorer, we love our 2014 Edge. It has been super reliable.

I noticed from you signature your 06 has quite a few miles on it. Have you found it to be reliable ?

I find my 06 to be one of the better and very versatile car all around. They have numerous issues like any brand. Most of the members on this forum fix them on their own - that's why we have this forum. If you can do a little more than basic maintenance, then you are fine.
The v8's are very reliable in my opinion, I am still on the original tranny. I replaced the motor at 200k miles only to find out that the motor was still good, so I have an old working engine in my garage as spare :)
Any repair these days are expensive, especially where I am in NY where an hour goes for $ 119 now so a simple bearing can cost you $ 500 while you can do it yourself for $ 150.
I also have 07 v6 that lost the tranny at 117 k miles but I drive it very often and I like it a lot as well.

I find my 06 to be one of the better and very versatile car all around. They have numerous issues like any brand. Most of the members on this forum fix them on their own - that's why we have this forum. If you can do a little more than basic maintenance, then you are fine.
The v8's are very reliable in my opinion, I am still on the original tranny. I replaced the motor at 200k miles only to find out that the motor was still good, so I have an old working engine in my garage as spare :)
Any repair these days are expensive, especially where I am in NY where an hour goes for $ 119 now so a simple bearing can cost you $ 500 while you can do it yourself for $ 150.
I also have 07 v6 that lost the tranny at 117 k miles but I drive it very often and I like it a lot as well.

Some great info, Thank you

The guy who had the RAM1500 truck just sold it from under me, douchebag lol Anyway I am a believer that it wasn't meant to be and the gods are pointing me towards the Explorer. I did find a similar vehicle locally so I am going to go take a look, particularly at the hitch and 7 pin connector setup.

Thank you to everyone that has replied to my thread, the information provided has been invaluable.

Forums like this are such a fantastic resource.

Getting back to some or the original discussion, note that the '06-'10 V8 with 3.55 axles gets the full 7000+ tow rating, because in '06, the V8 drivetrain changed from the 5-speed auto to 6-speed. The V6 kept the 5-speed, so it still needed an axle upgrade to get more towing capacity.

1st gear in the 6sp is much lower than in the 5-speed, so re-gearing the axle wasn't necessary. And 6th gear is better for gas mileage than 5th in the 5sp. In fact, V6 and V8 with 3.55 gears got about the same fuel economy. V6 with 3.73 axles returned worse fuel economy than the V8. The bad thing about this gen is that the OD-off button locks out both 5th and 6th gears. There is no way to lock out 6th only, which drives me nuts when towing.

Getting back to some or the original discussion, note that the '06-'10 V8 with 3.55 axles gets the full 7000+ tow rating, because in '06, the V8 drivetrain changed from the 5-speed auto to 6-speed. The V6 kept the 5-speed, so it still needed an axle upgrade to get more towing capacity.

1st gear in the 6sp is much lower than in the 5-speed, so re-gearing the axle wasn't necessary. And 6th gear is better for gas mileage than 5th in the 5sp. In fact, V6 and V8 with 3.55 gears got about the same fuel economy. V6 with 3.73 axles returned worse fuel economy than the V8. The bad thing about this gen is that the OD-off button locks out both 5th and 6th gears. There is no way to lock out 6th only, which drives me nuts when towing.

Oh OK,

That's good to know. Thank you

OK, You folks have me questioning my own setup. Since it was purchased from an Estate Sale, I really don't know its history, other than the few repair receipts and all of the oil change receipts the guy left in his glove box. 2008 Exploder with 4.0 SOHC, Open axle and 5R55S transmission, has a Ford Class-II Hitch (3,500lbs/350lbs Tongue rating) with a 4-pin harness connector that has a pig-tail rubber cover to keep it from getting nasty, and an ATF Radiator located at the front of the Radiator that appears factory installed. The ATF Radiator has the number E761S stamped in the top radiator mount. The GVWR Tag is attached below. Wondering if this is a factory install or just a dealer add-on?
Thanks!
Jordan

Exploder GVWR Tag Pic.jpg

I see GVWR mentioned in every post but I do not think that helps. You need to know GCWR to determine what you can tow and that is not listed anywhere in the car.

Back