2006 4x4 constant engine rattle - presumed timing or balance shaft tensioner - oil pan question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 4x4 constant engine rattle - presumed timing or balance shaft tensioner - oil pan question

ncgrant

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT 4x4
2006 4x4 with 165K miles. Developed loud engine rattle recently, though still runs okay (for now, anyway). After searching the forums it sounds like it is likely timing chain(s) related. Others have found pieces of a tensioner when pulling the (presumed lower) oil pan. I think I'll start there and see what I find. Based upon the diagrams I've seen the upper (ladder) pan is not fully open to the lower pan, so it seems to me that if the broken parts are large enough they will remain trapped in the upper pan. :( I've also read that the upper (ladder) pan cannot be properly removed/replaced without pulling the engine. :( Assuming I find something in the lower pan, and it looks like it belongs to the primary (jack) chain tensioner or the balance shaft tensioner (as opposed to a tensioner or guide from the camshaft chains in the heads) it sounds like I can pull the timing chain cover to investigate further. At this point I should note that I am NOT interested in pulling the engine. If it's the primary/jack tensioner it sounds like I can replace it from here, and if it's the balance shaft tensioner I'd need to pull the upper/ladder pan (which requires pulling the engine), in which case I'm inclined to just cut that chain and remove any broken parts. Back to the pan question though, if any larger pieces can/do get trapped in the upper pan, will I be able to retrieve those from the front with the timing chain cover removed?

Removing the front timing cover is the way to go you can see the balance shaft and chain the main chain and tensioner and the front cassette

You should consider removing the lower pan just to have a look see first

If the noise is coming from the front of the engine then the timing g cover will tell the tale
If the noise is from the passenger rear of the engine then it must come out

Removing the front timing cover is the way to go you can see the balance shaft and chain the main chain and tensioner and the front cassette

You should consider removing the lower pan just to have a look see first

If the noise is coming from the front of the engine then the timing g cover will tell the tale
If the noise is from the passenger rear of the engine then it must come out

Back