2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

good to hear that it seems to have worked and improved the drivability too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also finally had this TSB performed and have been good for 200+ miles. I'm up to 17k on the clock now and have been waiting a long time before I even bothered to take the truck into the dealer. After reading the shotgun approach to fixing the problem that I've seen from reading others stories here I was a little reluctant on wasting my time and giving up my truck for multiple days.

A couple of days!! That's how long it takes to do the update? I was thinking like a half day.

A couple of days!! That's how long it takes to do the update? I was thinking like a half day.

The new update is a quick one.. I was referrring to the older method some dealers were using to diagnose the problem.

My update was done in 1 hr. I have to say after close to 1000 miles this is up there with the slickest shifting trans I have ever driven, even compared to my wifes Lexus GS.

I had the latest update performed last Thursday (12/6), and I also have to say that the transmission has never shifted this well. I only hope that this update will take hold and I won't be back at the dealership in a few thousand miles to have yet another update performed, only time will tell.

It is nice to be able to slow down and not feel like someone is rear ending you. I have also noticed that my average fuel mileage has been steadily increasing since I got the Mountaineer back from the shop. I don't care what the Tech was telling me, before this update the trans was definitely slipping. It now feels and shifts as a transmission should. The update also corrected my cruise control problem. Before the update when the cruise was engaged going up hills the speed of the vehicle would fall between 6-7 MPH while the computer "hunted" for the correct speed, now if it falls 2 MPH it down shifts and brings the car back up to the set speed.

This update has been out for a little over a month now and I would suspect that there are a few vehicles out there that have a thousand or two miles on them since having the update performed. How is it holding up for you?

Tim

Got my update last weekend and it's smooth as silk.

For what it is worth I also had one of the worst traffic weeks so far and when I filled up the # of miles to empty on the computer was up about 8 miles more than normal for my commute.....could be a number of other things though.

So who finds themselves automatically wincing when they come to a stop and wait for the thump? :eek: maybe ford should get us counseling too.

Had mine updated today. Big improvement!

Had ours updated and I spent a good amount of time behind the wheel. It now shifts how a tranmission in a $40k vehicle should.

My update was done in 1 hr. I have to say after close to 1000 miles this is up there with the slickest shifting trans I have ever driven, even compared to my wifes Lexus GS.

Is your trans still shifting the way it is supposed to? I had mine updated on the 6th of this month and yesterday the symptoms began again. If yours is still ok I'm going to take a ride up to Buss and have them reprogram the tranny. If it is still shifting the way it is supposed to do you know who the tech was that worked on your vehicle? Thanks in advance.

Tim

I had the latest TSB done on my 07 Ford Explorer a few weeks ago. It shifted awesome for 2 days. On the 3rd day the problem was back.

My trans is still working fine, almost 3000 miles plus some heavy towing and it shifts like a dream.

MM - if the dealer is installing the correct update there should be no difference between dealers who do the update. I have no clue who the tech that did the update was. I was ready to try a different dealer when Buss told me they couldn't do anything about the shift issues but Ford Customer Care convinced me to stick with the dealer who had done the previous updates. If you are still having issues call Ford Customer Care and register a complaint, these people are on their game. They do what they say they are goign to do, they call you back when they say they will and they do have the authority to get things done, they got me a free extension to 75,000 miles on my trans for piece of mind.

Had the 07-23-2 TSB done today to fix the BUMP 2-1 shift on slowing down and just on the drive home (20mi.) it seemed MUCH MUCH better.

Regardless of whether it lasts, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone, and in particular bojans for starting the thread and apuntsel for posting this TSB (I still don't know where it is online other than here!).

I still love my Explorer but was getting down on it because of this bump shift and was beginning to wince and tense up when slowing down toward a light or stop sign for example and it was embarassing taking someone in the car if we felt the dreaded bump.

I really hope Ford's got it right now.

So far so good! Thanks all, and Happy New Year to everyone.

question for you all.. when you guys UPDATED, how long did it take them? could you sit there and wait for the update? or did you have to come back a few days to get ur car back?? i dont trust anyone with my car without me being there..

My dealer's never quick with service (they're very busy). I was there about 2hrs. The tech apparently looked up the TSB (I told the service advisor I'd learned of one but darn it, I forgot to bring the print out - but later I looked it up on here using my laptop and the dealer's wifi and handed the advisor the number but by then I think the tech was already on it) did the update and test drove the vehicle.

Drove my Explorer ('06 V8 RWD Limited) some more this weekend and still the fix seems to have worked. Yay...

Went to the dealer for the 07-23-2 update. When I picked the X up an hour later, they told me the TSB had been superseded by #08-3-8. I didn't get a printout of the TSB, so I don't know what it entails.

I can say that the jerk on the 2-1 downshift is gone, and it holds the gears longer under acceleration. Still can't select 5th gear manually, though ;)

Ours has been doing very well. Other than a bang every once in a while from driveline slack its smooth sailing.

I don't think its possible to select 4-6 manual and have it hold those gears :( They really need to use a manual option on the autoboxes.

When I picked the X up an hour later, they told me the TSB had been superseded by #08-3-8. I didn't get a printout of the TSB, so I don't know what it entails.

If you can get that info I would appreciate it. I just had Buss Ford do TSB 07-23-2 and the night I left the bump stop and the delayed 1st gear engagement were both still present. Now I am waiting for them to talk to Ford Tech.

If you can get that info I would appreciate it. I just had Buss Ford do TSB 07-23-2 and the night I left the bump stop and the delayed 1st gear engagement were both still present. Now I am waiting for them to talk to Ford Tech.

I couldn't get a soft copy of the TSB, but I had a buddy of mine that works for Ford fax me a hard copy. It reads almost identically to #07-23-2, but it obviously loads updated software. The first line is, "This article supersedes TSB 07-23-2 to update the Service Procedure."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a copy of the TSB;

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-23-2 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with 6R60 transmission and built prior to 11/29/2007 may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop less than 10 MPH (16 Km/h). Some 2006 Explorer and 2007 Sport Trac vehicles built prior to 05/4/2006 may exhibit the following symptoms:

Delayed engagements into Drive from Park, Neutral or Reverse.
Hesitation upon tip-in after braking to a stop.
This fixes the bump while braking to a stop, reduces the incidence of tip-in hesitation while accelerating from a stop and improves the delayed engagements.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to reprogram the transmission control module (TCM) and the powertrain control module (PCM).

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Some tip-in hesitation is normal on this transmission in order to provide smooth operation. This calibration update will help to improve the condition. The harsh bump while braking to a stop will be eliminated. Several days of driving may be required for the transmission to fully adapt

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

Install IDS/PDS or equivalent and ID the vehicle.
Update the PCM and TCM calibration using IDS release 52.8 and higher or 53.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2007.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.
NOTE: AUTHORIZATION DECAL NOT REQUIRED.

Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
Using IDS:
Open Toolbox.
Choose Powertrain.
Choose Reset KAM.
Then Choose TCM.
Using PDS:
Choose all Tests and Calibrations.
Scroll down the menu and Choose Reset TCM KAM.
NOTE: FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.

NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175° F (80° C). If it is not at 175° F (80° C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175° F (80° C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
Accelerate from rest with light throttle. The 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts must occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.
Continue to accelerate gently to 50 MPH (80 Km/h) so that the transmission shifts into 6th gear.
Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 15 seconds.
Repeat Steps (a-c) a total of five (5) times.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
080308A 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac 4.6L 6R60 Transmission: Check DTCs, Reprogram The PCM And TCM, Includes Time To Clear KAM And Perform Road Tests, Authorization Decal Not Required (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.8 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recal 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2008 Ford Motor Company

Back