2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

Update. Had mine back at the dealer today for the latest TSB to be done and when they tried they got the message back stating that it had already been done. Problem is I just had the 07 TSB done not the 08 TSB but the computer thinks differently. Waiting on Ford Tech again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had my 06 EB flashed yesterday by my Ford dealer, made the trans. like a new car, totally different shift points and no down shift bang. Have driven about 100 miles, hope it stays this way.

tip-in?

Can someone explain what "tip-in" refers to in the TSB? I have a 2008 EB, V8, 6 speed that I notice a delay or lag pulling away from a complete stop before the tranny feels like it engages. Is this what they are referring to?

Also, when I'm driving along at around 30 MPH and let my foot off the break, I can feel the transmission winding the engine and slowing the vehicle down. Its almost as bad as when 4x4 High is engaged and your gas mileage goes to zero. Anyone else experienced this? I have to figure that my gas mileage would improve if the transmission would just "coast" when I don't have my foot on the gas.

Thanks,

Bill

Had my 06 EB flashed yesterday by my Ford dealer, made the trans. like a new car, totally different shift points and no down shift bang. Have driven about 100 miles, hope it stays this way.

dropped off by 07 EB today for reprogramming, will pick it up in a few hours, hopefully they will do it right. Can't wait to see the result....

dropped off by 07 EB today for reprogramming, will pick it up in a few hours, hopefully they will do it right. Can't wait to see the result....

picked up my 07 EB from the dealer that was getting TSB done for the tranny bump feeling. The bump is gone, tranny works like a charm. Extremally smoooooth.

Noticed though that the engine vibration increased little bit. I assume as they programmed the PCM too in addition to TCM, may be the engine needs some time to "learn"? Anybody noticed this too?

Six speed trans

I have a 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. It was built on 04/07/06. I got it on 07/01/06 with 9 miles. It was running fine till 05/29/07, when at 18,610 miles it had a shudder when down shifting from 2nd to 1st. I would like to cut to the chase, because I could fill a page and a half with all my warrenty visits. Let me just say that I have had over 8 separate warrenty issues, with 2 (trans down shifting bump stop, and engine light on) 3 times, in less than 2 years of ownership. My ST has been at Ford for 23 days due to warrenty issues. They replaced the TCM, reporgrammed etc,etc, etc. Replaced fuel cap, some emmission control module, etc,etc. Just last week my ATC(automatic temprature control) went out, thay replaced it but forgot to hook up my airbag sensor. So I had to leave it over the weekend, so that on monday they could reconnect it. Just got it back today. So I called Ford Customer Relations about my problems. They agreed that I had excessive warrenty issues(really, duh you think so), so they said that any problems that I have had under warrenty will be cover 100% for 6 years-75K. I will be getting the extended warrenty 500+ premium care plan before I hit 36k. I really like my Explorer Sport Trac and have no desire to get rid of it. But all these visits to my Ford dealer can get really old. :(
Well so there ya go, dont know what else to say, except to all you Explorer owners, I live and know your pain!!!!
P.S. The trans has been shifting excellent now for 11k.:thumbsup:

First I want to thank you all for the information in this Forum. I just got my 07 EB "family ride" I drove it and noticed this shifting issue searched it on the web and found this site. Had it in the Ford Dealer Yesterday for the TSB thanks to the post on this page and it drove MUCH better last night... I do have a question they are also going to change the Mectronic unit (had to order it)... Can someone tell me what this is ? I picked it up after hours and did not get a chance to talk to the Service manager yet...

The Mectronic unit the valve body assembly (I think). I know there is another TSB out there for the replacement of that in certain Explorers based on production date.

Trans thumping at stop!!!

What I can tell you is that when Ford fixed my Bump-Stop (that's what Ford calls it) it cost $1,730.10 under warrenty. They replaced the trans main control valve body, listed on the bill as a FMC 8L2Z 7Z369 A #Module, which cost $819.40. They also had to change the fluid, electronic diagnosis, and pin point test. I have had the trans updated 2 times since I got my ST. I have driven 11k since all this and it runs great.:thumbsup: I will get the best extended warrenty Ford has, and I suggest that every Explorer owner also gets one. There is to much high-tech stuff that could go bad and cost you big $$$$:rolleyes: That's my adventure so far with my ST. I really, really, love this SUV/TRUCK and am willing to put up with this small stuff. (23 days at dealer for warrenty work!!):(

Our 06 Mountaineer V8 has been in the shop probably 4 or 5 times for this transmission problem...sad. Last time we took it in, the dealer said that there was nothing wrong with it and that it was normal for the hard shifting. Also, the time before that they said it was because we towed our small pop-up camper. Last time i checked, the 4.6 v8 was suposed to be able to tow a small pop up without screwing over the transmission. They have also said that our SUV is the only one with this problem and that other explorers/mountaineers dont have this issue. Our dealer is an hour away, so driving there and back takes a toll on gas $. We have the 75K warranty (56K on it right now) and I was wondering what else is there to do. I dont want to get rid of it because its an amazing vehicle, but having to fix the same stupid thing multiple times is ridiculous. Is there any way to have the dealer buy it back or "exchange" it or anything else? Please help, this is getting out of hand.

Hmmmm

Do you have a 6spd trans? What is the towing max for your EX(check your handbook). Mine is 6640lbs with the class 3-4 hitch. I have no problem towing my 3k boat. Is your trans hard shifting when coming to a stop or all the time??? If at a stop, and you have the 6spd. than everybody that has a EX has this problem for year(06-07). With an extended warrenty you should have any problem that is not as per original design fixed!!!Let me know if you have any of these and maybe I can help ya!!! Mr.C:salute:

Can someone explain what "tip-in" refers to in the TSB? I have a 2008 EB, V8, 6 speed that I notice a delay or lag pulling away from a complete stop before the tranny feels like it engages. Is this what they are referring to?

Also, when I'm driving along at around 30 MPH and let my foot off the break, I can feel the transmission winding the engine and slowing the vehicle down. Its almost as bad as when 4x4 High is engaged and your gas mileage goes to zero. Anyone else experienced this? I have to figure that my gas mileage would improve if the transmission would just "coast" when I don't have my foot on the gas.

Thanks,

Bill

I have the same problem. Not with the downshifts, but with the trans only shifting to 1st 'after' I accelerate from a stop. I'm taking the TSB in to have it programmed. My truck was built in 10/07 and it's really bothering me. IMO, this should had been fixed on the early '07s.

It's going in service this Thursday, I'll post the results.

As for the downshifting, that's normal on all electronic transmission. It's for towing and is called automatic engine braking. It saves on your brake pads, keeps them from overheating, and gives you more control over your rig. My Nissan Titan and Nissan Pathfinder both did it also.

I'm also interested if the TSB fixed this transmission shifting lag. It urks me that the tranmission gets stuck in 2nd and takes a stop and accelaration before downshifting to 1st. I'd rather have a normal shift pattern where the downshift is stiff. If this is a fix for the problem, I'd rather not have it. Funny, if you stop for a second before accelerating, it doesn't happen. It just takes the transmission way to long to shift into 1st now. Normal stops, where you take right off quickly after a complete stop, you'll feel the transmission hesistate and downshift to 1st. In some circumstances the truck will start to roll off of acceleration in 2nd and then downshift to 1st. To me, this is worse than a hard shift to 1st while "coming to a stop".

If any of you guys have experienced this prior to the TSB repair and then had the repair, please post if this was also corrected. I would really appreciate it. Thanks. I've only had my truck for a week and this is very VERY concerning. I guess I should had driven the test drive vehicle more aggressive to notice this, but I didn't.

Have a good one.

LIke I have said. With all the work that my Ford dealer has done. My trans now shifts like you would think it should. I feel like I(we) were the test bed for this TRANS. I now have lost 23 day's of usage due to warrenty issues. That's almost a full month's payment.

LIke I have said. With all the work(&%$%#$) that my Ford dealer has done. My trans now shifts like you would think it should. I feel like I(we) were the test bed for this TRANS and should payed back for it!!!!:p:I now have lost 23 day's of usage due to warrenty issues. That's almost a full month's payment of 600.00$. I think FORD owes me:eek:

Did you have the issue I spoke of above?? If you did, did the TSB repair correct that as well??

Thanks a lot, I want to have the amunition to take to the dealer when I go.

BTW, thanks for being the beta testers, Ford owes you at least a Ford Accessory.;)

Have a good one.

Mr. C. - our mountaineer has the same tow rating as your explorer. The trans issue is definatly not original design, and if it is, the ford people are retarded. The next time i go in (hopefully this week), i want to tell them that I want a new Transmission, but I doubt that they will be cooperative.(any ideas to make them do it??) Does anyone know what the latest TSB is for the EX/Mountaineer, so i can at least have them re-program that?

Mr. C. - our mountaineer has the same tow rating as your explorer. The trans issue is definatly not original design, and if it is, the ford people are retarded. The next time i go in (hopefully this week), i want to tell them that I want a new Transmission, but I doubt that they will be cooperative.(any ideas to make them do it??) Does anyone know what the latest TSB is for the EX/Mountaineer, so i can at least have them re-program that?

You have high hopes if you think you will get a trans out of this. You can get 100 transmissions and if they are all programmed with the same bad program you will still have the same issues.

As for the TSB number there are two ways you can find it. 1st being the newbees favorite... use the search button and the 2nd being read this thread. It is in this thread.

What I find odd is that some people don't seem to have any problems with the transmission.. The thing that I'm worried about is that all of this hard shifting may cause the transmission to fail early, and it would suck if it were just past the warranty expiration time. Why can't they just FIX the stupid problem already?!!?! argh... im about to have a conniption over this.

Does anyone have the 1st gear shift BANG after your stopped, and starting off from a stop like we've noticed. If so, does the TSB correct it. I know someone must be reading, that can answer this question.:)

Thanks and have a good one.

Had my 06 done, made it like a new car and a totally new trans. Bang is all gone and shifts are smooth. The new shift points are closer and mileage on my V-8 has improved. I think the new TSB has done the job.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm glad that the TSB works... Unfortunatley my dealer experience was terrible today. They test drove the mountaineer today and said everything was "fine". So, i asked them to update the TSB to the new one listed on the previous page. They said that they can't update it unless the vehicle is exhibiting the problem... argh. Then they also said that this tsb doesnt exist yet and after telling the sevice guy that I read about it on this forum, he said that the people that have had it done are BS'ing about it. So, I am off to another dealer to see if they have it, and then calling my dealer and complaining because i have to drive 70miles each way just so my service is free (only becasue i have been there 5 times for the same issue and i dont feel like paying to get the problem fixed).

Back