2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

stevenshin,

Thanks for the encouragement, before I go further, I'll say that I have had no issues with the friendliness or courtiousness of the staff at Tim Stewart Ford here in Atlanta, however I'm just hoping that the situation doesn't turn out like it did with my 2001 Camry, it was bought brand new, and at 60K miles it started blowing white smoke out of the tailpipe in the mornings, it progressively worsened and when I took it in I had to have the motor "de-sludged" and have new seals installed, etc.. to the tune of about 2.5K, and then 2 years later I found out that it was a well known issue within Toyota and many people had to pay out of pocket for a serious design flaw with their engines! Just my luck! I just hope this isn't the case with this transmission, it seems that the issue is all software and not hardware related, but I guess only time will tell. I'll keep everyone posted on how it works out!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update, I'm going to pick mine up from the dealer tonight, they said a newer TSB was done, the 8-24 one released last November, and that the TCM KAM has been cleared and driven like the TSB describes, my service writer said she drove it to lunch and it has much quicker throttle response and no hesitation, so it sounds promising, I will let you all know when I get back tonight how it goes!

Fingers crossed for you!
My wife drives our Explorer and she hasn't noticed the rough downshift so far.

Update, I'm going to pick mine up from the dealer tonight, they said a newer TSB was done, the 8-24 one released last November, and that the TCM KAM has been cleared and driven like the TSB describes, my service writer said she drove it to lunch and it has much quicker throttle response and no hesitation, so it sounds promising, I will let you all know when I get back tonight how it goes!
Just remember, it may not shift that great when you first pick it up. The trans computer needs time to adapt / learn. Ours got better everyday for about a week and had been fine since.

Just remember, it may not shift that great when you first pick it up. The trans computer needs time to adapt / learn. Ours got better everyday for about a week and had been fine since.

Stein,

I think you're right, just an update: I drove it home last night, at the beginning of the drive I definately noticed the hard shifts, but towards the end of the drive (about 30 miles mixed driving), I couldn't get it to do it no matter how hard I tried. So far today my wife has said she hasn't fealt it at all, thats a drive to work and back. This leads me to believe that it is fixed. I think the only thing I'll have to get used to now is the slow throttle response. After driving a 2008 Explorer V6 rental for 4 days, I actually wish I had bought that instead, even though it may not be faster in a straight line, it certainly feels much lighter on it's feet and the throttle response on it was fantastic, which goes a long way in making a vehicle "seem" quicker than it really is. I'll keep you all posted, hopefully now I'll have a chance to enjoy my Explorer!

Also side note: if anyone here has a strange rattle coming from the dash and also has remote start installed, make sure the remote start unit is snug. Mine had a remote start installed (aftermarket, before I bought it) and sometimes it would make a very annoying rattle in the dash, the dealer said they could fix it, but it would be a pay item, the fact that they diagnosed it for me and didn't charge me made me very happy, so I paid $50 for them to strap it down tighter and the noise is now gone too.

Thanks for the help!:)

I think the only thing I'll have to get used to now is the slow throttle response.
It's the throttle by wire technology used on the V8 engine. There is no throttle cable, it's computer controlled with how much you are pushing the gas pedal etc. I can't get used to it either...feels weird. I will say however, slam that pedal to the floor and these things scoot pretty good!

Glad to hear the trans is shifting better!

Stein,

Thanks for the info, I actually did know that it uses drive-by-wire, and thats why I'm so surprised at the V6 I drove, vs. the V8 I own. I popped the hood of the rental, and sure enough it was drive-by-wire as well. I think they've done some trickery there in the name of better gas mileage, that's the only way I can explain it. It's interesting tho to note that it doesn't seem to be limited to just this manufacturer, I recently drove a V8 4Runner and it did the same thing, and it happens to be drive-by-wire as well.

I'll keep you all posted on how the TSB works out!

Stein,

I it certainly feels much lighter on it's feet and the throttle response on it was fantastic, which goes a long way in making a vehicle "seem" quicker than it really is. I'll keep you all posted, hopefully now I'll have a chance to enjoy my Explorer!

Thanks for the help!:)

I believe that our friends at explorer express can fix the throttle response issue (and possibly add 1 mpg or so...) with a computer reflash. It will cost you a few hundred bucks though.

I believe that our friends at explorer express can fix the throttle response issue (and possibly add 1 mpg or so...) with a computer reflash. It will cost you a few hundred bucks though.

dwink,

I went the the Explorer Express website, and found the "BamaChips Tuner" here is the link. It's a bit pricey and I think I'd feel a little uneasy about reprogramming my stock computer, maybe after it's paid off and it's been handed down to me (right now the wife drives it primarily), then maybe I can find a unit that is used on eBay or something to play with. Have you or anybody else had any success with it?

Also, since I've been driving the truck the past couple of days I've noticed it is driving a lot better than before. I feel like I'm finally able to enjoy my Explorer. The throttle response even seems better than it originally did, I'm thinking now that I can get used to it. Also after driving it again right after driving the V6 rental I had, I noticed a huge difference in ride smoothness, I think that the V8 is much smoother in its operation over the V6, and yes it does "scoot" when I punch the accelerator. So count me as happy right now, I will let you guys all know if the hard shifts return, however I am very optimistic. Also, to let you guys know about TSB 08-24-4, the tech that worked on my truck couldn't find the TSB anywhere in their system, he had to call the Ford Tech Hotline, when he called them, they asked him if he had performed the previous TSB (7-something), when he said he had, then they gave him access to the 08-24-4 codes and instructed him to only apply it if the previous TSB didn't work. I'm not sure if the previous one would have worked for mine or not if the tech didn't simply unplug the negative cable on my battery rather than delete the TCM KAM memory, but I feel glad to have the "latest greatest" flash.

OK my rant is over, hopefully my experience has been helpfull to others here.

dwink,

I went the the Explorer Express website, and found the "BamaChips Tuner" here is the link. It's a bit pricey and I think I'd feel a little uneasy about reprogramming my stock computer, maybe after it's paid off and it's been handed down to me (right now the wife drives it primarily), then maybe I can find a unit that is used on eBay or something to play with. Have you or anybody else had any success with it?

If you read over on the modified forum, you will find plenty that are using Doug from BamaChips and are very satisfied. One of his signatures is throttle response.

Doug is a very well known tuner in the mustang world, the 4.6 in our trucks is essentially the same.

Hello fellow members I just joined this site a few days ago hence I purchased a 2006 Explorer limited. Very Soon after I noticed a slight jerk while braking before coming to a full stop. I did some searches on this web site and food the issue I have others seem to be having it also and it has a classification also TSB 07-23-2. I scheduled an appointment at my nearest Ford service center to rid this issue. Anyone would have any information on the cost of this repair?

Hello fellow members I just joined this site a few days ago hence I purchased a 2006 Explorer limited. Very Soon after I noticed a slight jerk while braking before coming to a full stop. I did some searches on this web site and food the issue I have others seem to be having it also and it has a classification also TSB 07-23-2. I scheduled an appointment at my nearest Ford service center to rid this issue. Anyone would have any information on the cost of this repair?

The TSB quotes .9 hours of labor and no parts so I imagine it would only cost 1 hour of labor time.

06limitedexp,

Make sure you ask them to use the latest TSB, if you read a few posts back I explained how I had them apply TSB 08-24-4, which apparently supersedes 07-23-2. Also, it may be a good idea to contact Ford and ask them if it is covered, as it is a common issue, and a polite request to have them take care of it may get it done for you for free. Let me know how it goes, ever since I've had it back, I've only had it jerk once from a stop (not when coming to a stop, but when stopping and then taking off quickly).

Thanks guys I called and since I currently have 44k my factory warranty expired after 36k. So I will be charged for this repair or should I say update. I saw that a new update is available so I searched all of the TSB's and printed out 08-24-4 I have an appointment next thursday at 7:30am eastern time for the update. I also noticed a slight squeak when the truck is warming up sounds like the tensioner pulley or something in that area. I sprayed a little wd40 and it seems to have taken cared of it but I will also mention that to them I may have a pulley that is on it's way out.

My Mountaineer has 23000 miles on it, it had the slight jerk before coming to a stop and hesitation when taking off from a stop, very annoying. I took it to our Lincoln Mercury dealer and gave them the latest TSB, the service manager knew exactly what I was talking about. So far so good, very smooth. Other than this problem I love this vehicle.

Should this TSB be applied even if the problems hasn't shown?

I have an '08. Only gets used much in the summer for pulling boat. I only have 2500 miles on it. Should I have the dealer perform this TSB even though I haven't experienced any problems?

The dealer will charge to do the TSB if it's not covered under the warranty. They might not want to cover it if it doesn't show any symptoms. You could contact them, but I think that they will charge.

I have had the new TSB 08-24-4 installed and it only lasted for a little while, so off to the dealership I go again. I can see by reading previous posts that this may be an ongoing problem. I am not sure what to do if they tell me that there is nothing that can be done:mad:

The dealer will charge to do the TSB if it's not covered under the warranty. They might not want to cover it if it doesn't show any symptoms. You could contact them, but I think that they will charge.

I was charged $239 for this procedure and a new TSB was used which superseded the existing 08-4-16 which is now 08-24-4. So far so good seems to be running smoother and stronger but I only driven it home from the dealer haven't really put any miles on it yet since I got it back. I also compliant to the dealer about a squeal in the engine compartment and the dealer found the belt to be worn and needed replacement so that was done also for $249. So now I have the truck back and is running quite and smooth and just the way I would have imagined once these little kinks it had where ironed out. However, my question is if this issue comes back with the transmission reprogramming can’t we form a petition and bring it to Ford directly to have this problem we all seem to be having properly investigated and fixed once and for all.

FYI: I tried for a extended warranty and Ford must be in bad shape with this economy crisis cause they really didn't want to provide a warranty for a 44,000 mile truck that is brand new condition but then offered a 4 year 48,000 mile premiumcare plan to me for $2815 $50 deductable and wanted the $2815 up front in one lump some lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

06limitedexp,

I've done some research on this, and it looks like most of the problems were with early 06' Explorers and a few 07's, I really think that the latest calibrations have taken care of the problem for 99% of the people out there, as I hardly see any new comments about the issue unless it is from someone who just purchased an 06' EXP used, in which the previous owner probably never noticed, or never cared about the transmission issues. The other interesting thing I've found out is that this is Ford's first all electronically controlled 6-speed transmission. And as with all "******* year" vehicles, there are usually a few kinks that need to be worked out even with all the testing in the world going in to making the product flawless. I've had my reprogram done about half a month ago, and it's still going strong, no issues. So hopefully there won't be any more. As far as Ford investigating the problem and fixing it once and for all, even though I've seen them release new updates for this issue a few times already, my thought is, at least they ARE releasing updates, and not sitting back and doing nothing. Or even worse, running a secret "campaign" like Toyota does (in which they won't address a serious problem with their product unless a customer complains about it enough, and then they secretly sweep it under the rug, Google "Toyota Sludge Problems" if you don't believe me). The best thing to do is post issues on forums like this, and if you're not satisfied, keep in touch with Ford support and even your Ford technician if you can. Hope this helps!

Back