• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer new to me SUV :)

Corycarlo

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
I picked up a 2006 Explorer xlt with 99k and freshly rebuilt transmission for a deal! Anyways I noticed the thermostat housing has a slow leak. I looked it up and seems to be common so I'm ordering a replacement. Also the engine light came on, I put my code reader on it and it's showing code p0171. Lean code. I can't dint any bad hoses so what do you guys think it is? Thanks in advance! Loving to comfort of this SUV ride. Rides way better then my Jaguar!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another something that is happening is before I actually start and just have the keep on I get a 'service charging system' message but after starting it goes away and not other lights come on in reguards to it? Any ideas on this problem too?

3 weeks ago, I traded in my 06 XLT for a 17 XLT. Although there's a lot I love about the new Ex, I miss the feel and handling of the 06. Getting yours with a new trans is a good thing. I replaced the original trans after about 7 years, and the new one was staring to have issues when I traded it.

All of that said, my 06 was a trooper for 150K miles. I hope you enjoy yours. :)

Thank you. I'm really liking it so far.....but I def gotta get these quarks worked out! And for what I paid for this SUV I couldn't lose.

Any help with my issues guys?

I would load test the battery, odds are that is your charge system issue the way the alarm goes away would suggest the alternator is picking up the slack. The lean could be anything from a fuel pump, or injector to something as simple as a plugged up fuel filter.

Ok. lol get the battery load tested. The air filter is new...maybe I'll run some injection cleaner, I know that normally doesn't do much but it could use it anyways I'm sure.

Would the thermostat housing leaking down by the spark plug wire/spark plug possible cause a misfire and lean condition? I have a new housing coming, should be here by the weekend but I did notice that leaking down the engine and near the one plug/wire.

It's strange. I have a code reader, so I read the code, then deleted it. Truck has run great and no cel since. But I'm still fixing the leaking thermostat. Should be here tomorrow. Looks fairly easy to swap out

I just replaced the alternator in mine at 150K. It's probably that. I'm on my 4th Thermostat housing though, so get used to that.

4th housing? That's ridiculous. And the metal one is much to high in price. The idea of making these out of plastic is just plain dumb. Ford should be forced to supply a metal replacement since it's not only common, it's basically guaranteed the plastic one will leak time and time again.

I got a new one, with thermastat and sensor, clips, o rings, basically everything for $22 shipped to my door.

Another something that is happening is before I actually start and just have the keep on I get a 'service charging system' message but after starting it goes away and not other lights come on in reguards to it? Any ideas on this problem too?

Hi,
I don't think you have a problem with the charging system. When the ignition is on, without the engine running, I get the "Check Charging System" message after a few seconds. Its been doing that ever since new.
Also, when the thermostat housing started leaking years ago, I suspected the famous cracked plastic. Came to find out, that it was the gasket of the temp. sensor, which is just held in place by a clip, with lots of play. The way the liquid runs down into the grooves on the housing made it look like the plastic housing is at fault. I'm sure that many housings get replaced, with the problem being the gasket.
Keep a look at the cooling liquid level, since the radiators tend to leak.
Cheers

Thanks for the info! And I think you nailed it on the head with the charging system. I'll have to pop on a new sensor o ring to see if that does stop the leak, I happen to pick a couple up from napa bc I wasn't sure if the new housing would come with them. That would be sweet if that fixed it then I could keep the new housing as back up!

Put a new sensor o ring on today. The old was flat and cracked, so I'll update in a week or so if it fixed it. Took all of 2mins and $.35. People should really try this first!

Back