2006 explorer SJB fuse blown, now windows,wipers,radio, and sunroof stay on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer SJB fuse blown, now windows,wipers,radio, and sunroof stay on

jonwee1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer 4.6 V8
Hello,

Last week out of the blue I noticed the interior lights on and DVD player started playing all by itself, (radio was set to DVD) after the car was parked for hours. So I pulled a fuse (forget which one) to get the systems off for the night. Next day I found fuse 2 of the SJB blown, which is 5A and says microcontroller power (SJB). I replaced the fuse and now have battery drain issue and after I turn car off and open the door, the radio stays on, windows, wipers, sunroof all still work?? I found very little info on the web, one diagram that shows this 5A fuse powering the SJB and something called Var 1? So the battery is draining now, even while driving. I know this because I actually stalled out a few times when slowing to a stop. I've been removing the negative off the battery at work and at home and I'm getting by for now, but if I leave the battery hooked up I can literally watch the voltage drop on the battery, and it won't start in the AM. The funny part is, I hooked up a meter in series with the negative, and removed the dome light fuse (to disable door activating systems) and I only measure 0.009 Amps. I suspected the Delayed ACC relay was stuck on, and I eventually found the relay on the back of the SJB (impossible to see or get at without removing the bolts and pulling out the SJB a bit). Also wierd is that 6 weeks ago my sunroof stopped working, but after this fuse blew and I replaced it, now it works again. So what is keeping these systems active, and what is killing my battery even though I measure very low current draw?? I measured the voltage while running and I'm getting 14.2V, and stray AC of 10-40ma depending on RPM. I've done some testing by pulling fuses and relays, oddly when I pulled the 25A rear wiper fuse all the systems stopped working (radio, windows, wipers, sunroof)? I pulled most of the other fuses and all relays in the BJB and SJB, and none of them disabled all the systems. I thought for sure the Delay relay would disable these systems, but it didn't.

Did I mention I also pulled a dead spider out of the fuse slot for the 5A fuse that blew? Maybe he shorted it out and fried something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please comment. I'll take any suggestions, can't keep disconnect ting my battery.

It's almost as if the ignition switch is stuck on ACC (electrically). Anyone have have diagrams of switch and the accessory delay circuit?

Same problem, Fuse #2 Microcontroller Power is draining my battery...someone please respond...

Did you guys ever find a solution? I'm having a similar problem with my son-in-law's 07 Mountaineer. He tried to give someone a jumpstart and wasn't able to start the dead car. Someone else jumped the guy and he went on his way. The next morning his battery was dead. We took a look at it an found the battery was 9 years old, so we figured we just killed the battery. I gave him a jump so he could go get a new battery and when it started the nav radio blanked out. It was playing, but nothing on the screen. The next day the new battery drained too, so we knew he had a draw somewhere. He brought it to me and I'm trying to figure it out.

It was left with the battery disconnected for a couple days so it wouldn't drain. Tonight I reconnected it and the radio seemed to power up just fine. The screen lit up and I was able to turn on the radio and change from AM, FM1, FM2 etc,(something that didn't happen when it was blanked out), but I can't seek, tune or select presets. The buttons on the steering wheel also don't work. When I shut it off and radio shows the mercury logo stays that way. I check the draw and it's like 5 amps until everything shuts down then it goes to 1.3 amps. Way too much. I pull the radio fuse (#3 under the dash) and the draw drops to .2 amps. Still too much.

I found this thread and check the SJB fuse. It's fine, but pulling it reduces the draw to an acceptable .02 amps. So my problem is definitely in those two circuits. Any ideas?

Back