2006 Explorer V8 - Hesitation upon acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer V8 - Hesitation upon acceleration

Tony1964

Reaction score
City, State
Bucks County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer V8
Frustrating problem. Help please!
My 2006 Explorer V8 has 84k miles. It frequently, especially in stop and go traffic, makes a banging sound when removing foot from accelerator. It seems to slightly hesitate when accelerating slowly from a stop and when foot is taken off accelerator, makes a banging sound and slightly lurches forward. I also seem to feel a slight tension in the steering wheel when first accelerating (unless I'm imagining this). This will also happen when accelerating up to highway speed and once at highway speed, it is perfectly fine. No dashboard lights come on at all and the truck has all new plugs and is tuned up. This has been happening on an off for awhile but I'm not sure mechnaics have found the problem. Throttle body was replaced this year.

The problem definitely occurs a lot more often in neighborhood stop and go driving.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Tony

I had the same issue, just replaced all 8 ignition coils with some cheap $10 each Amazon ones and totally solved the issue. Drives beautifully now with not a hint of hesitation or bucking.

Back