2006 Replacing CD changer with just CD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Replacing CD changer with just CD

Kavlainc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 4.0 XLT
Good day, guys!

Since CD changer seems to be a plague on Fords (mine also went), I wanted to see if I can just install a stock Ford CD player instead of the 6 CD changer. It seems obvious that it can be done, but the regular CD player has 3 connectors while the CD changer has 4. So can I just not plug the 4th connector, I don't know what it controls - maybe just an additional power source for the changer? Wanted to make sure, because I don't want to buy and then have to return the CD player.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other connector on the CD changer is for the subwoofer amps that are part of the package with upgraded sound systems. You can just leave those dangling, I would think, but if you have subs (or a sub) it won't work.

=Vic=

Vic, thanks for your response. I don't think I have the subwoofer, where would I check to make sure I have/don't have one?

IF you had a subwoofer, in the back on the right side if your looking in the vehicle from the hatch you would see a speaker grate or something simillar.

Thanks, 16EBBOY!
It seems that the subwoofer is there. Now I don't understand why the regular CD/radio ford combos, don't have the subwoofer connector? Only the 6 CD changers do. Any clue?

I believe the single CD systems were a base package and not provided with a subwoofer, so no need for the connector. The Sub connector is part of the upgraded systems, including the NAV packages, which basically all came with a subwoofer.

=Vic=

Beargap, that's exactly it. Regular CD's don't have Audiophile "upgraded" connector.
Thanks for your help.

Back