2006 Traction Control/ABS locking up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Traction Control/ABS locking up

bwagoner1469

Reaction score
City, State
Colby, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
We own a 2006 Explorer with the 4.6L engine. Advancetrac activates while driving down the road and literally locks up the wheels. It sets a C1996 code which from what I have found is automatically set after the Advancetrac has been activated continously for 15 seconds. This condition occurs at all speeds. I have felt it while turning at slow speeds a few times. My wife almost got ran over going down the highway and now feels extremely unsafe driving it. I have found only one other post with something similar to this issue on a 2011. Any help would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do not reset the code. Leave it there for the dealer to be able to pull.
Out of warranty? Still make a stink.
Are you able to reproduce the problem, or is it random?

May be one of the ABS sensors or ABS ring on rear shafts. I had the same situation, I could not drive the car. It was the front ABS sensor, had to replace the whole hub.

I can not make the condition return, it just randomly does it. Happens a couple of days, then won't do it for 2 weeks. The C1996 code is something along the lines of active yaw control motor. Took it to the dealer, they can't seem to pinpoint the issue. All the wheel speed sensors seem to test fine.

I might have the same issue not sure, but only happens when it is pouring hard rain no error code nothing, just the traction control lights up and I can feel the wheels locking up for a split sec or so...my explorer is a 4.0

Back