2006 XLT V8 radiator/transmission coolant hose problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 XLT V8 radiator/transmission coolant hose problem

sharkfin25

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V8
I have a 2006 For Explorer that I took in to have the 60,000 mile service done. This was Friday, April 17th. I was quoted $350 for the service. When I dropped the truck off, I mentioned to the service advisor that every once in a while, the car would feel like it was shifting harshly, usually from 1st to 2nd gear. He stated he would have a tech road test it when the service was done, but that a full diagnostic would be $160. Later that day, he called to say I needed front brake pads, which I knew, so I authorized him to do the breaks for $240.

At 4:30pm on the 17th, the service advisor called and told me we had a problem. He said whoever had installed my radiator hadn't seated it properly and it was 2 inches back from where it should be. He further stated that it was causing the transmission coolant hose to kink, and that was why the car would shift harshly sometimes. He quoted me $130 for a new transmission coolant hose and he said he had no idea how much labor would be, but he thought it would be expensive. At this point I stopped him, because I have never had any radiator work done on the car. If the radiator was installed incorrectly, then it was that way when it came from the factory. Furthermore, every major service on that vehicle had been done at a Ford dealership. Also, even though my 3 year/36,000 mile warranty was past, I was still covered under my extended powertrain warranty of 5 years 60,000 miles, as the truck currently has 56,000 miles. At that point his demeanor changed. He said there had to have been work done on a radiator because I would have had a problem before 56,000 miles if it had come that way from the factory. I told him to look up the service history, as Ford had done everything. Also, I had taken the car in 2 months prior for a bad emmissions solenoid. At that time, the harsh shifting was barely noticable, but I did mention it to the service advisor (a different service advisor). He told me they would take a look, and when I got the car back, he told me it was normal.

Long story short, the service advisor is telling me it's not covered under my powertrain warranty. My argument is that it was defective from the start, since on one has ever touched the radiator. I'm now waiting for him to call me back to tell me what they can do. He said he needs to talk to his manager, but he doesn't think Ford is going to cover any of it and I will be responsisble for all repairs. If this does end up being the case, what recourse do I have? Any advice is appreciate.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I have a 2006 For Explorer that I took in to have the 60,000 mile service done. This was Friday, April 17th. I was quoted $350 for the service. When I dropped the truck off, I mentioned to the service advisor that every once in a while, the car would feel like it was shifting harshly, usually from 1st to 2nd gear. He stated he would have a tech road test it when the service was done, but that a full diagnostic would be $160. Later that day, he called to say I needed front brake pads, which I knew, so I authorized him to do the breaks for $240.

At 4:30pm on the 17th, the service advisor called and told me we had a problem. He said whoever had installed my radiator hadn't seated it properly and it was 2 inches back from where it should be. He further stated that it was causing the transmission coolant hose to kink, and that was why the car would shift harshly sometimes. He quoted me $130 for a new transmission coolant hose and he said he had no idea how much labor would be, but he thought it would be expensive. At this point I stopped him, because I have never had any radiator work done on the car. If the radiator was installed incorrectly, then it was that way when it came from the factory. Furthermore, every major service on that vehicle had been done at a Ford dealership. Also, even though my 3 year/36,000 mile warranty was past, I was still covered under my extended powertrain warranty of 5 years 60,000 miles, as the truck currently has 56,000 miles. At that point his demeanor changed. He said there had to have been work done on a radiator because I would have had a problem before 56,000 miles if it had come that way from the factory. I told him to look up the service history, as Ford had done everything. Also, I had taken the car in 2 months prior for a bad emmissions solenoid. At that time, the harsh shifting was barely noticable, but I did mention it to the service advisor (a different service advisor). He told me they would take a look, and when I got the car back, he told me it was normal.

Long story short, the service advisor is telling me it's not covered under my powertrain warranty. My argument is that it was defective from the start, since on one has ever touched the radiator. I'm now waiting for him to call me back to tell me what they can do. He said he needs to talk to his manager, but he doesn't think Ford is going to cover any of it and I will be responsisble for all repairs. If this does end up being the case, what recourse do I have? Any advice is appreciate.

Thanks in advance for your time.

None of the techs saw the kink in the line ? Most of the work done on my EX has not been submitted to the extended warranty company. I can look this online. The three year warranty are starting to run out now, so it's money time for FORD services depts.

None of the techs saw the kink in the line ? Most of the work done on my EX has not been submitted to the extended warranty company. I can look this online. The three year warranty are starting to run out now, so it's money time for FORD services depts.

That's exactly what I asked the tech. Why is it that no one spotted this before now? They actually called me today and told me they were not charging me to put in a new transmission coolant hose and to move the radiator where it should be. I picked up the truck this afternoon and drove it around town and then 50 miles home. No shifting issues so far. :)

I'll keep you posted.

Back