• Register Today It's free!

2007 EB 4.6L 4x4 Front End Rattle

KillerB74

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hi guys, I have a metallic rattling noise coming from the front drivers side. It is noticeable when driving slow on gravel roads. If I apply gentle brake pressure the noise disappears. It does not seem to be present when traveling on pavement or at highway speeds. There is no feedback through the steering when the noise is present. I have removed the front wheel and everything seems tight (wheel bearing, ball joints, tie-rod). Any specific area I should be looking?

Thanks.

Ford has tsb for updated rear brakes.
Printable View (101 KB)
TSB
09-22-13 REAR BRAKE RATTLE OVER BUMPS

Publication Date: October 30, 2009

FORD: 2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer
MERCURY: 2007-2010 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 7-24-6 to update the vehicle model years covered.

ISSUE:
Some 2007-2010 Explorer, Mountaineer and Explorer Sport Trac vehicles may exhibit a rattle noise over bumps from the rear of the vehicle. The noise is due to the rear brakes which do not incorporate an anti-rattle clip.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

To repair the rattle noise perform the following:

Remove the rear tires as per the Work Shop Manual (WSM), Section 204-04.
Remove the brake caliper assembly from the steering knuckle assembly per WSM, Section 206-04.
Support the caliper to prevent damage to the brake line. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 09-22-13

Remove the outer and inner brake pad and discard pads.
Remove the brake pad slippers from the caliper rails and discard.
Clean the caliper rails with a wire brush.
Place a thin bead of Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant on center section of the underside of the brake pad slippers. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 09-22-13

Install the brake pad slippers on to the caliper rails. The smaller brake pad slipper is attached to the upper caliper rail. The larger brake pad slipper is attached to the lower caliper rail with the anti rattle loop facing away from the rotor. (Figure 3)

Figure 3 - Article 09-22-13

Clean any excess Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant off of the slippers.
Remove the caliper pin sleeves and rubber boots.
Install new pin caliper boots.
Place caliper slide grease into the pin sleeve boots.
Install caliper slide pin into the rubber boots.
Clean any excess grease off of caliper.
Install inner and outer brake pads.
NOTE: THE BRAKE PADS ARE LABELED L FOR LEFT SIDE AND R FOR RIGHT SIDE ON THE STEEL BACKING PLATE.

Install brake caliper as per WSM, Section 206-04.
Repeat steps 2-16 on the other side.
Install the rear tires as per the WSM, Section 204-04.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant
8L2Z-2200-AB Rear Brake Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092213A 2007-2010 Explorer, Mountaineer, Explorer Sport Trac: Replace The Rear Brake Pads Both Sides Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.8 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
2200 07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2009 Ford Motor Company

KillerB74, I can see how a noise like this would be annoying. Have you thought about taking your Explorer to a dealer to look into it? Even though I can’t help with cases from Canada, I recommend calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-565-3673 if you’d like help from a live agent.

Cory

Have the same problem with mine havent figured out whats making the noise it all looks good under the front end. Anyone have any answers?

Back