2007 Explorer Heater core replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Heater core replacement.

Gary Stears

Reaction score
City, State
Juneau, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer advancetrac
I have a 2007 Explorer and I suspect that the heater core is partially clogged. Replaced everything else but the heater core so I’m guessing that’s why I’m not getting any heat. I did flush it and water seemed to flow just fine, only getting warm air and at times a little warmer when idled high. Inlet hose to core is hot and outlet not as much. Any how to photos, videos, tips that could help me out I’d really appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your radiator full? The heater core is pretty high and will get air in it if your coolant level is low. And air does not transmit heat as well as water.

Is your radiator full? The heater core is pretty high and will get air in it if your coolant level is low. And air does not transmit heat as well as water.
Radiator is full, heater core is just in front of the shifter column in the floor. Filled the core with the proper fluid after the flush.

Radiator is full, heater core is just in front of the shifter column in the floor. Filled the core with the proper fluid after the flush.
How did you fill the core after the flush? That seems like an odd statement to me. Your hearer core is located exactly where the coolant hoses enter your firewall from the engine bay - that is not anywhere near the floor. Your radiator can be full and you can still have air in the heater core. You need to try a cheap fix first. Burp your cooling system by running it up to temp with the front end higher than the rear end. Jack it up or park it on a hill.

my heat never gets super hot and it also feels hotter on speed 3 vs 4.... my core checks out fine and my gf's uncle worked at the place building the HVAC's for these trucks and told me there was a problem and a fix for the heat but he cant remember what it was...... i know that sucks.... but I now work at the place he works at now and I work on the line building the HVAC's for the P552 platform and I can now see why removing these units is not for the faint of heart .... just to swap the heat exchanger while the unit is on a bench blows enough.... I still need one of those fancy coolant top off funnels to remove all the air maybe that's the problem.... 1 day I did get really hot air but that was just after replacing my 2nd t-stat housing and stat

How did you fill the core after the flush? That seems like an odd statement to me. Your hearer core is located exactly where the coolant hoses enter your firewall from the engine bay - that is not anywhere near the floor. Your radiator can be full and you can still have air in the heater core. You need to try a cheap fix first. Burp your cooling system by running it up to temp with the front end higher than the rear end. Jack it up or park it on a hill.
I filled it with 50/50 coolant using the hose attached to the outlet side after the flush to remove the water and get coolant back in the heater core. I followed the heater core lines through the firewall, heater core is where I said it is. I have tried all the cheap fixes which included burping the system on my uphill driveway more than once. Thermostat, radiator, heat control valve, blend door actuator have all been changed (not in that order) I have access to the heater core now and the blend door. Going to investigate these a little more before removing the heater core. I forgot to mention I don't have the HVAC system.

my heat never gets super hot and it also feels hotter on speed 3 vs 4.... my core checks out fine and my gf's uncle worked at the place building the HVAC's for these trucks and told me there was a problem and a fix for the heat but he cant remember what it was...... i know that sucks.... but I now work at the place he works at now and I work on the line building the HVAC's for the P552 platform and I can now see why removing these units is not for the faint of heart .... just to swap the heat exchanger while the unit is on a bench blows enough.... I still need one of those fancy coolant top off funnels to remove all the air maybe that's the problem.... 1 day I did get really hot air but that was just after replacing my 2nd t-stat housing and stat
Pretty sure I don't have HVAC, how could I know if I do? I was going by the heat control valve that has just the inlet and outlet. Haven't changed the thermostat housing but I have changed the thermostat twice, heat control valve, blend door actuator, radiator, and flushed the core twice. I got good flow through the core both times so I'm thinking the problem has to be somewhere else. Do you think the thermostat housing would cause this problem? Thanks for the reply.

Pretty sure I don't have HVAC, how could I know if I do? I was going by the heat control valve that has just the inlet and outlet. Haven't changed the thermostat housing but I have changed the thermostat twice, heat control valve, blend door actuator, radiator, and flushed the core twice. I got good flow through the core both times so I'm thinking the problem has to be somewhere else. Do you think the thermostat housing would cause this problem? Thanks for the reply.

we all have HVAC its what the unit under the dash is called "Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC)" , if the tstat was always open heat could suffer but they usually fail in the closed position so heat would be simply amazing

like mentioned these had a design problem from the start but my GF's uncle cant remember the fix all he said was "if it makes heat let it be" I was thinking blend door but my AC runs colder than a coors beer .... I wish I could set heat to recirculate like max AC does now that would make it hot in here

Back