2007 Explorer: is it new enough to be reliable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer: is it new enough to be reliable?

2009FordFanatic

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Expedition XLT
I'm currently looking into buying my first car. SUV politics aside, all I've heard about the Explorers from the 2000s are the issues regarding the 5r55 transmission and 4.0L V6. My price range only leaves room for the V6 models, and the one I'm looking at has 150,000 and a warranty from AutoNation.

My question is: By 2006/7, was the 5R transmission and V6 reliable enough to be considered a good choice? If it runs and drives well, and I only do about 8,000 miles a year, what should I be looking into maintaining/replacing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have owned a 94, 00, 04 and now a 08 Explorer. All have had 6 cylinders and have been very dependable for me. I usually buy used at about 90k miles and sell them by the time they hit 180k. The last one I sold to my brother in law and he went 230k before any problems. Of course there are no guarantees with any used car, and the one you're looking at is high mileage. Unless you are getting it very cheap $4000 or less, I would look for one with lower mileage.

4.0 / 5R55S is a matter of luck from what I see around.
No, Ford had never fixed neither engine or tranny design all the way until they were phased out, so even 2010 models can grenade any time.

the 5r55 is a car transmission at heart..... run it hard and pay the price

Keep shopping, find a 4.6 v8 with the 6r60. Its not perfect but lightyears ahead of the v6. You will thank us later.

Not sure why the manufacturers do it - probably cost, Ford, GM, Dodge - all same mistakes.
Had a 99 Tahoe that is a heavy truck with 4L60E tranny that is installed in corvettes, and other light passenger GM cars. Did not make it past 80k miles.
5R55 belongs in Mustangs, and even that is a stretch.

I have a 2007 V8 limited, and it has been more or less reliable (mechanically). Bought used with 130,000. I keep getting nickle and dime electrical and small systems repairs, but with regular maintenance it seems to be fine. The drivetrain seems solid, but some of the suspension components are downright flimsy compared to other cars I've owned. I'm a pretty gentle driver and I have managed to damage front end components just getting from A to B here in the midwest.

In my opinion some of these trucks aren't worth the cost for fuel and maintenance- especially for a first car.

I use my 2010 with 4.0L as my daily driver, almost 20,000 miles in last 10 months. No reliability issues. Be religious about watching your oil levels, and don't beat the piss out of it if it's your primary ride. 150K is a lot of miles but if you take it easy you can ride it for a couple years and save up to get a new Bronco in 2020.

Keep looking. I bought a new 2006 4.0 and drove it till 130,000. Two transmissions and two radiators. The transmission will go out sooner than later. Cost over $2000 each time the transmission went out.

Cooling system are historically an issue with the 4.0, but manageable and easily fixed. I have 150K and runs awesome including starting in -20F when in Michigan's UP when newer trucks did not. Tows snowmobiles beautifully and has an awesome 4WD system that I tested last weekend driving 20 miles through 12+ inches of snow on a unplowed county road to pick up my sons disabled sled. I will be looking for a 2010 V8 Limited soon and giving my current XLT to my daughter.

I almost forgot front hub bearings. Notorious vehicle for this. I got really tired of working on my 2006. AAA got tired of picking it up.
As soon as I had it running close to good.......gone.

Yep, front hubs go bad regularly regardless of the motor, but easy to replace. But I still think that generation is great all around vehicle functionality wise.

The 4.0l is anemic for the weight of the truck and a ticking time bomb. The timing cassettes will fail and the repair is worth more than the value of the vehicle. 15 hrs for engine removal alone on book time.

Yes reliability is best with the V8 which is the 4.6L 2008 and later from my crash course of reading the last two days. Earlier builds of the 4.6L depended a lot in which plant the 4.6L was built in as they did not used the same parts. I believe it got ironed out in 2008 and later from what I can surmise. Eddie Bauer will should have the V8. and as said the V6 is not recommended especially if its higher millage the engine is dated design.

I am still trying to get my head around the drive train functionality especially AWD build .

Back