• Register Today It's free!

2007 ford explorer hard shifting

deuce07

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt v8 ironman
i remember reading a thread a while back about alot of people dealing with hard shifting with their explorers. anyone else still got the problem?

i have a 2007 ford explorer V8 ironman edition RWD

my dealership flashed my PCM and it worked better for a few months.. then started crapping out again. so i took it in and they flashed it with a newer firmware... (still mildly shift hard)...

i brought the car back in because the engine light was on.. they "reset" something and it seems to be riding roughly again..

how did u guys overcome the problem? what did your dealership do for u?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mm i tried resetting my PCM (disconnected the positive wire for a few minutes, then i read another source to disconnect the negative wire instead, did that too)

i believe by resetting the PCM, the car can relearn my "driving habits" or whatever and correct how it shifts between gears.. does that make sense? any idea how long of a drive it would take the car to relearn the proper technique?

Honestly I don't know, but I don't think it would be that simple to fix. But it's worth a try.

My '06 was doing the same thing, dealer repaired it under warranty. Got the paperwork somewhere, but this was definitely not a software problem. Mechanical parts had to be replaced inside transmission and they needed it for a few days. Should be a Technical Service Bulletin for it, which doesn't help us cause they're still gonna charge you, unless you have ESP coverage. Goodluck!

please let me know what was replaced!

For an auto tranny to shift smooth something has to slip. Usually clutches. Slipping means wear. I prefer a hard shifting tranny.

whats the update inoc! please let me know!!

Innoc if you could let us know the TSB if you know it or what was done that would be great because Im having the same problem on my 06 and doing the software update actually made it seem worse

Back