2007 Ford Explorer idle noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Ford Explorer idle noise

Luke Brooks

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer with a little over 150k miles. It runs fantastic. When at idle it has a slight intermittent noise. It’s not horrible sounding like some of the death rattle videos I have seen. My question is how prone are the later year 4.0s to the timing problems and will they start out as a noise like I am hearing and progress into the death rattle?

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer with a little over 150k miles. It runs fantastic. When at idle it has a slight intermittent noise. It’s not horrible sounding like some of the death rattle videos I have seen. My question is how prone are the later year 4.0s to the timing problems and will they start out as a noise like I am hearing and progress into the death rattle?
I’ve heard they are just as bad as always. I had a bad belt tensioner that was chirpy as heck. It was impressive how loud it was.

I did a belt and new idler pulley. Seemed to quite things a bit. The sound is definitely non rhythmic. I’ll check the tensioner out.

I did a belt and new idler pulley. Seemed to quite things a bit. The sound is definitely non rhythmic. I’ll check the tensioner out.
Awesome! My tensioner was rpm dependent, But would go in and out at low rpms. Both rhythmic and non rythmic.

Back