2007 ford Explorer intermittent loud engine fan noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 ford Explorer intermittent loud engine fan noise

jpjask

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer xlt
I John am having problems with my vehicle!
2007 ford explorer XLT 4.6l
Intermittent Engine fan getting really loud, I have changed the thermostat and given it a flush.
I changed the engine clutch fan and many hours of diagnostic testing have produced nothing!
The intermittent fan comes in especially loud on long trips, and cycles every 2-5 minutes. When it is cold, it is worse. With the heater on sometimes on stop and go traffic, not as bad! As well as significantly less heat in the SUV! When the fan goes on, the transmission also acts up, it seems as it is lagging in limp mode and overheating. The temperature gauge is normal only up to the half way mark. Once the engine temperature gauge went up, that I can remember only a little bit above normal, and only for less than a minute. Coolant is still too hard to tell if there is a leak. The radiator seems full and over flow tank OK so far with Canadian Tire first and Ford Dealer my bills for this repair are$2000! People on Google say it’s the Radiator and transmission PCM , when a Ford Dealer put a scanner on it there was nothing that showed you even then it is acting up, no dash lights show up. The temperatures are 0 to-30c in Edmonton Alberta Canada. The Dealer does not know either what is going on. I am throwing away good money after bad on this problem with no resolve, please help me FORD!

This is the letter I sent to Ford ! The transmission fluid and level were checked as well ! When the temperature drops past -14 c it's worse -24 no heat and almost undriveable the engine fan is constantly louder the temperature gauge in the SUV starts to climb no codes or check engine lights come on! The Dealer wants to put a new PCM at $1500 just for the part and this still may not solve my problem! help please!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I experienced this in my 4.6 2006 exploder yesterday. A/C was not on for time this year. In town normal driving, temp normal and no codes showing the fan was locked making the loud whooshing noise. Pulled over at a gas station and check fan was not locked up, still tight not wobbly. I wiggled the electrical plug and got back in started up and ran fine the whole way home.

Truly was an intermittent problem.

Still the intermittent problem happens , which plug did you wiggle The connection between the clutch fan plug or was it another plug?

Still the intermittent problem happens , which plug did you wiggle The connection between the clutch fan plug or was it another plug?

Sorry for the late reply, YES it was the plug to the fan clutch. Not sure if this fixed the problem as there is no corrosion under my hood. My engine is clean as a whistle.

Bringing back an old thread, mine had the same issue and I just replaced the thermostat and so far it seemed to fix it, if your getting no heat then that could be a bad heater core, thermostat, or a blockage somewhere

Back