• Register Today It's free!

2008-2010 changes

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
Looking to buy the wife a later model Explorer and retire her 5.0L 1996 Limited Editon. Been a great automobile, with over 170K mostly trouble free miles, but time has come for a newer model.

So what are the changes if any, to the 2008-2010 model years? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i say wait for 2011 models to come out, everyone thinks the explorer is a car but the ground clearance isnt that much difference between 2006-2010 (8.4) and 2011s (8.3)

Looking to buy the wife a later model Explorer and retire her 5.0L 1996 Limited Editon. Been a great automobile, with over 170K mostly trouble free miles, but time has come for a newer model.

So what are the changes if any, to the 2008-2010 model years? Thanks in advance.

Mike

I don't really know much, but the cupholder insert changed half-way through the '08 model year...

Really, the only significant change probably has been with the electronics. The newer models have Sync and upgraded Nav packages available. Other issues with the 4th gen Explorers (like the 6-spd trans shifting) were mostly resolved by the '08 year, I think.

=Vic=

Beargap is correct.

Even on the issues, like the shifting, those were/can be corrected anyway via PCM/TCM updates for the older models. No significant changes over the years for this generation of Explorer... except the head rests. I've heard the newer ones (08-10?) have a different head rest design that some people hate. Guess it depends on your build; definitely drive it to see if it fits you well!

Depending on the date built, you may or may not have issues with spark plugs if you get v8, read about that some more.

Also, not sure when they changed the design of the door grab handles, I hate them in my 06.

Someone should have been flogged for the door grab handles in the '06 (just purchased). I know that we will be banging other cars in parking lots until we get used to them. Anyone know of a good-looking aftermarket fix?

As far as what changed, I think that's been covered.

As far as waiting until the 2011 comes out, that depends on how much tow rating you need. If around 5000 lbs towing, and 10,000 GCVWR is enough, then you might like the 2011. Better fuel economy, an even better ride (not that the 4th gen is bad!). The unibody structure is not a bad thing. They could make it strong enough to tow 7000 lbs. But the market just isn't there. Why build in all that extra weight for 5% of buyers.

Most of the Ex/Mountys I see out there with a 2" receiver (5000-7000 lbs tow ratings) still have black glossy e-coat inside that receiver. Never used. That said, I'm glad I found mine, and will be using it soon.

Back