2008 Explorer 4.0 Eddie Bauer 2x2 forced idle/limp mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer 4.0 Eddie Bauer 2x2 forced idle/limp mode

Bartsdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2008 Explorer 4.0, Eddie Bauer, 2x2 with 132k miles. Been fighting this problem for awhile. Runs great until engine gets up to operating temp, maybe 10 miles down the road. Then is will go into forced idle or limp mode and the wrench light will come on. Quick shift into neutral and restart and it might run and it might not when put back into drive. Might have to restart 2-3 times and then it will go on down the road as it should. Backing up the other day on flat, dry pavement the anti skid light came on along with the wrench light and forced idle. When it runs, it runs great!

Codes: P060B, P2104, P2110, P2126, and U2023.

What has been found so far - Wires at the MAF sensor were melted together, don't know if they shorted or not. Fixed that. New wiring harness/plug and new MAF sensor. Something had to make those wires melt???

Took to shop. They got the same codes I got but they also found that the positive battery terminal was broken away from the case and shorting out. New battery. Almost didn't make it off their lot. Every time I would start it and put it in gear it would idle and the wrench light would come back on. Shop recommend installing a new throttle body. That's been done. Also found a wire going to the TB was cracked, that has been repaired. No change in problem.

The throttle position sensor/accelerator assembly has been replaced. That seemed to make the biggest difference but it still goes to forced idle and the wrench light comes on but not as often.

Plugs, plug wires, and coil pack replaced.

I have noticed that when I start it and leave it in park the wrench light will come on after a few minutes. If I sit in neutral it might sit there for 15 minutes and the light not come on.

I keep looking for more bad wires but haven't found any yet. And yes, we have squirrels and maybe a few rats too...

We would like to keep the Explorer but I'm afraid I might be headed for a PTM and that's a bit pricey. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As an after thought it really seems like something is breaking down when it gets hot... It is Florida and we cook everything under the hood.

2008 Explorer 4.0, Eddie Bauer, 2x2 with 132k miles. Been fighting this problem for awhile. Runs great until engine gets up to operating temp, maybe 10 miles down the road. Then is will go into forced idle or limp mode and the wrench light will come on. Quick shift into neutral and restart and it might run and it might not when put back into drive. Might have to restart 2-3 times and then it will go on down the road as it should. Backing up the other day on flat, dry pavement the anti skid light came on along with the wrench light and forced idle. When it runs, it runs great!

Codes: P060B, P2104, P2110, P2126, and U2023.

What has been found so far - Wires at the MAF sensor were melted together, don't know if they shorted or not. Fixed that. New wiring harness/plug and new MAF sensor. Something had to make those wires melt???

Took to shop. They got the same codes I got but they also found that the positive battery terminal was broken away from the case and shorting out. New battery. Almost didn't make it off their lot. Every time I would start it and put it in gear it would idle and the wrench light would come back on. Shop recommend installing a new throttle body. That's been done. Also found a wire going to the TB was cracked, that has been repaired. No change in problem.

The throttle position sensor/accelerator assembly has been replaced. That seemed to make the biggest difference but it still goes to forced idle and the wrench light comes on but not as often.

Plugs, plug wires, and coil pack replaced.

I have noticed that when I start it and leave it in park the wrench light will come on after a few minutes. If I sit in neutral it might sit there for 15 minutes and the light not come on.

I keep looking for more bad wires but haven't found any yet. And yes, we have squirrels and maybe a few rats too...

We would like to keep the Explorer but I'm afraid I might be headed for a PTM and that's a bit pricey. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As an after thought it really seems like something is breaking down when it gets hot... It is Florida and we cook everything under the hood.
have you fixed this issue? i have one doing the same exact thing.

have you fixed this issue? i have one doing the same exact thing.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on Aug. 18, 2020 so may no longer be following.

Peter

Back