2002 V6 4.0 Eddie Bauer - Rattle/Pinging Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 V6 4.0 Eddie Bauer - Rattle/Pinging Noise

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
I have a 2002 V6, 4.0 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer with 190,000 miles on it and it runs great. When I accelerate I hear a high pitched rattle, almost like a lose catalytic converter, but I don't think that's it It seems to be coming from the bottom of the vehicle, but am not sure. Kind of a medium pitched rattle/pinging type of noise only during acceleration and not at idle. The truck runs great and is not lacking or losing power, nor does it burn oil. All thoughts would be welcome and appreciated.

An easy item to check is the heat shields around the exhaust system. About 7 years ago, the heat shield by the transfer case cracked at the mount bolts and would vibrate. At certain rpms it would start rattling and pinging. I fixed it by bending a thicker strip of aluminum to replace that part where the bolt holes were, drilled out new holes for the bolts and riveted it to the heat shield. Hasn't rattled since.

The most common issue is the timing. Either put a stethoscope to the valve covers and listen, or pop them off and see if the chains move.

If it's a busted guide, you are playing Russian roulette when you drive it. Need to figure this out fast.

Back