2009 Explorer Sport won't stop beeping at me... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 Explorer Sport won't stop beeping at me...

Todd82TA

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x2
Guys, I love this car... I mean it... it's fantastic. It started beeping at me about 2 years ago. I've been busy, and the car drives fantastic, so I haven't really fussed with it. It started off intermittently... only when on a rare occasion I'd accelerate a little fast, the ABS / TRAC light would come on, and it would say "SVC BRAKE SYSTEM" or some nonsense. It would then beep at me for a full 30 seconds, every 5 minutes.

"Rare" became more common. To the point where it now does it literally every single time I start my car. It starts immediately, and then continues through my drive. I've kind of learned to ignore it, but it's totally insane, and I cannot imagine why Ford though this was a good idea.

Never the less, I ran the OBD2 scanner... basically told me some nonsense code (which I cannot remember)... essentially telling me there was a problem with my sensors (or the system itself). Over the past couple of months, as I've had time, I replaced both front wheel hubs (they came off super easy, no rust on my car), and both rear wheel sensors.

Still beeps.

WHAT THE HELL can it be? Aside from ripping the speaker off the PCB behind the gauge cluster, why is it beeping at me? There's nothing wrong with the brakes either, so I don't know why it says this... the brakes are fantastic. Just for the hell of it, I replaced all four brakes. Went with the highest quality cross drilled and slotted rotors I could get, and ceramic pads. I also flushed the brake lines with all new fluid.

Car has ~70k miles on it.

Do I just replace the entire damned ECM? Is that ECM separate for the traction control / stability control?

Thanks!!!

Incidentally, this is my post from January of this year, about the same problem...

The Scanner didn't tell me anything, and it didn't log anything valuable. I really don't feel like going into the garage, but I think it told me the module was bad. Where is this module and what does it look like?

Thanks guys!!!

Car still looks like this, I work from home now as of this year. I was putting a lot of miles on it going back and forth to the base, so happy that it's sitting in the garage most of it's time now.

Hmm - when I had that problem it turned out to be the front hubs. I had a similar experience - an odd code. I don't remember the number, but it was a "B" code, and I think translated to computer failure. I think what it really means is that the computer is not understanding the signal it receives from the ABS system, or it is not getting a signal (intermittently possibly) and that sets the code. I replaced the front hubs and that fixed it. (and that was several years ago - still fine). Since you already did the hubs, go back and check the ABS wiring. Try checking continuity to see if a wire is broken internally. I would look where you have worked in the past as I would think that is the most likely source of a wiring problem (physical damage caused by someone replacing a sensor or something near a sensor).

Back