• Register Today It's free!

2009 SOHC engine compatability

Flormat

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer
I am picking up a 2009 Explorer with a bad 4.0 engine. I have searched the forum and see that people have swapped Mustang 4.0engines but my real concern is what years are compatible with 2009 Explorers. A local junk yard told me only 2009 & 2010 engines are compatible.
Also there seems to be opposing opinions on whether the 4.0 SOHC is an interference engine, what is the reason for this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply. Will my 2009 ECM / ECU work with other year engines? I suppose I can swap any sensors if the wire harness plugs don't match.

You gotta strip it. swap your intake, sensors, injectors, and exhaust manifolds. Any 4.0l sohc engine from an explorer, sport trac, mustang, land rover, or ranger will work. Some don't have a balance shaft but that really doesn't make a difference. I was also told some mustangs had different injectors, so the ports on the heads are a bit different. Post 02 supposedly had some upgrades but they are still garbage as was proven by my 07. a word of advice, pull the valve covers on whatever you get and inspect the guides before you drop it in.

Thanks for your help

So they used that 4.0 in Land Rovers as well ?

Back