• Register Today It's free!

2009 XLT will not take A/C charge

Run Amok

Reaction score
City, State
NY/Canada border
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
The A/C blows out lukewarm or barely cool air in my 2009 XLT with 4.0. Bought a couple of cans of refrigerant/leak sealer but the vehicle doesn't seem to take any and the cans do not appear to have discharged much, if any refrigerant. I'm using the low pressure side to add the stuff. But the gauge doesn't seem to change. It runs up about 2/3 of the way into the green zone (I forgot how many PSI it was) and then when the compressor clicks on it drops down to about halfway into the white or low zone. It just keeps going back and forth to the same locations when the compressor clicks on or off.

Fill a bucket with hot water and place the can in the bucket while filling. Just make sure to keep the can upright.

Fill a bucket with hot water and place the can in the bucket while filling. Just make sure to keep the can upright.

Thanks Rick. Doesn't cost anything, certainly worth a shot.

I'll be taking it in to an independent shop next week. Over the phone the guy was up front and said that he probably couldn't help because if he had to evacuate the system it probably has sealer in it, which gums up his machine and he doesn't want to do. Can't blame him for that.
But he's willing to look at it and says he won't charge anything if it's something he can't address.

Back