2010 Explorer O2 Sensor

JimmyT1950

Reaction score
City, State
Graytown, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Callsign
KA8DYW
The check engine light lit up on my 2010 explorer. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was an O2 sensor. I had them order one at $165.00 installed. On my way home, I filled up with gas, about 1/2 tank, and after I started it, the light did not come on. It has been 4 days now and still no light. I believe there are more than one O2 sensors on this vehicle but if this was the problem, why did it go stay off after filling up with gas? Should I get it replaced? Or was maybe it another problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bet your gas cap was loose. either that or the if they pulled the plug off the o2 detector and it was corroded, and when they put it back on it started working again. 165 seems quite steep for a o2 sensor. I think you can get one from the shop for under 40 bucks.

There is no gas cap on this vehicle. And the light came on after I started it leaving the ford dealer, which was after they diagnosed the problem. It didn't go out until I filled up with gas, 1/2 tank. Some of these are real tricky to get to so not sure if I want to tackle this in the middle of winter or not.

Google how to test 02 sensor, there is a bunch of instructions also on YouTube, you will need a volt ohm meter and blow torch, set the meter to read ohms and read the resistance

A good code reader will tell you what sensor is bad, most likely the one in front of the converter on the drivers side is the one bad, Should cost about $30. Real easy to change and get to. $165 is a little steep for this 5 minute job. If you do not own a code reader go to your local parts store most will let you use one or they sometimes will do it for you.

Back