• Register Today It's free!

'13 Explorer O2 Sensor Problems

phenompak

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I have a 2013 Explorer XLT with the 3.5L with 125,000 miles and I've been having O2 sensor/cat problems and I don't know where to get started here.

So around 6 months ago was when my first check engine light came on, checked it out it had these codes :
1672801575211.png

I just cleared the codes at the time and wanted to see if they would come back before doing any troubleshooting. After clearing them they never did come back until recently I had a check engine light again.

This time I scanned it up and got O2 sensor codes from a different bank.

chrome_yUX0rYq8W6.png

Now when I clear the codes they come back pretty much immediately so I want to try my hand at fixing the problem. But I don't know where to start, should I start with replacing an O2 sensor first (If so where are they located?) or is this a done deal and my cat is all gone since I also got a p0430 in addition to the O2 codes. Or maybe p0430 is going off because of bad O2 readings

Any suggestions or ideas appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at the codes, it states sensor heater resistance and heater circuit malfunction for bank 1
That leads me to believe it's the O2 sensor.

You still might have an issue with Bank 2 cat converter due to the efficiency code.

For the money, I'd replace the O2 sensor(s) first before dropping the coin on the cat converter(s).
Or, you could try swapping the sensors from one bank the to the other and see if the codes follow the sensors.

Thanks for sharing the tip and the thread with the O2 sensor locations! When I replace the O2 sensors (it'll be hard since this car has been in the rustbelt for it's entire life, all the connectors and bolts are frozen with rust) I'll update!

So I just got under the car today to have a look bank 1 sensor 2. I was able to get the electrical connector off by just maneuvering my arms through everything.

The O2 sensor itself is mounted horizontally
1E5xMj7.jpg

Now when I get my wrench O2 socket and ratchet on it, they hang down vertically. And of course just my little 3/8 ratchet won't get it loose. Now I don't have a lift and I'm just doing this with a jack and jack stands so I don't have enough vertical space to actually put on a cheater bar on the ratchet or stick an actual breaker bar under the car :/
Do I just have to give up and take it to a shop where they have a lift or do you guys have any tips to help get this thing out

Can you tap the ratchet with a hammer? Might be enough to break it free.

Any chance you can get a longer extension on the socket and get the ratchet further to the left (in your picture above)?
I don't know what's in that area or if it's even possible to do that.

Another thought, do you have a open/closed end wrench that fits? Maybe that would allow you to get a different angle?

Just throwing out ideas.

Alright so after struggling under the car on the floor a bit I just took the car to a shop. Supplied my own part and got the sensor replaced for 60 bucks. I've driven it around for about two days with the new O2 sensor and no check engine light.

Back