2011 Explorer Video/DVD In Motion Hack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Video/DVD In Motion Hack

Hey I have a question for you guys who seem to know more about SD cards.....

If you could copy the Navteq Geo-Data on the OEM SD card and transfer that data to a higher speed SD card would you see a difference in the speed of SYNC Navigation loading and functionality?

Or is the speed determined by the hardware and Microsoft Mobile OS?

I doubt a noticeable difference would be seen, if any it would be during the initial loading after start of the car, and during lookups of POI/Destinations. Likely not enough to notice though, if you try it let us know how it goes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt a noticeable difference would be seen, if any it would be during the initial loading after start of the car, and during lookups of POI/Destinations. Likely not enough to notice though, if you try it let us know how it goes.

Maybe I will try once they release a new SD card so I can play with the spare........should be new one for 2011.

I hope we find out more about SYNC G2 v2.7 tomorrow.

Pray for speed!

Any more updates on this? No being able to use the nav while in motion is the only thing holding me back from buying an explorer.

i dont mind so much the nav being disabled while the car is in motion... but the ipod browsing is KILLING ME...it's painfully slow. someone please hack it or make it faster somehow!!

$425 :eek:

I thought about it to get the backup camera while moving to while having a trailer attached - but I don't like it that much.

I might $239 like something if this were to work. Adds a second camera. http://www.coastaletech.com/explorerinstall.htm

Ya but the fact the ad says "Allows Factory SYNC DVD operation while Moving" means they dont even know there is no DVD player in the 2011 SYNC head unit.

$425 is WAY too expensive for a wiring harness.

These guys are great, superior customer service and tech support! They also have their own forum.

They do support group buys too!

Susan is the go to customer service rep.

Also, the installation manual states iPod video.

*Edit - This installation requires striping and soldering of wires. That's a bummer because the module I used for my Dodge Ram was just a Plug-n-Play. You could remove it if you needed to and there was no evidence that it was ever there. I would like the ability to quickly remove the module during any trouble shooting with MFT.

Ya but the fact the ad says "Allows Factory SYNC DVD operation while Moving" means they dont even know there is no DVD player in the 2011 SYNC head unit.

Where does it say that quote "Allows Factory SYNC DVD operation while Moving"?

The Coastal unit is not spec'd as being for the 2011 Explorer - but I might $239 like that one to get a second camera for towing/maneuvering a trailer.

And neither of these are just wiring harness. They both have some electronics involved to be able to manipulate the display. It looked like the Coastal unit was a lot more robust and utilized the stock controls - for less money. Going to keep my eye on that one and see what comes up in the future.

The Coastal unit is not spec'd as being for the 2011 Explorer - but I might $239 like that one to get a second camera for towing/maneuvering a trailer.

And neither of these are just wiring harness. They both have some electronics involved to be able to manipulate the display. It looked like the Coastal unit was a lot more robust and utilized the stock controls - for less money. Going to keep my eye on that one and see what comes up in the future.

Google CoastalTech and read some of the buyer feedback on Customer Service.

I had bad experience with them not taking back a defective unit, so just be careful.

I know it's been a couple months, but any update on a cheaper alternative. Possibly one that can be DIY?

I saw the instructions on the NAVTV instructions, not difficult. You just gotta take your time and do it step by step.

Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread. $425? Ha. Too rich for my blood. I'd pay maybe $150.

Tony

I'm amazed it's 2017 and nobody has found more reasonably priced solutions. From my efforts, I've found the Crux VIMFD-95 at about $190 that I just ordered today from Amazon (so I'll let you know how it does), the PAC-FRD-1 that does not fit the Sony NAV system's connectors (about $160), and the NAVIKS option at around $300 is out of stock (they told me to call back in two weeks when they should be in).

Back