2011 Ford Explorer _ Need help - How to replace sway bar front bushings and entire rear sway bar? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer _ Need help - How to replace sway bar front bushings and entire rear sway bar?

Mattax

Reaction score
City, State
Fishersville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
2011 Ford Explorer.
Am changing out the front and rear sway bars, bushings and end links and cannot find a video on the front sway bar bushings and rear sway bar. I found plenty of videos on the end links.

Torque Settings:

Front:

Ford Explorer Stabilizer Bar brackets Torque Spec : 52 ft-lbs

Ford Explorer Stabilizer Endlinks Torque Spec : 18 ft-lbs

Rear:

Ford Explorer Rear Stabilizer to Frame Bolts Torque Spec : 41 ft-lbs

Ford Explorer Rear Stabilizer Endlinks Torque Specs : 22 ft-lbs

Tools:
Sockets and wrenchs: 7mm, 10mm, 17mm, 22mm

I have all the OEM replacement parts, but need information on how to remove front bushings and rear bar since the bushings are made into the bar.

I'll assume it is best to jack up the entire front end and rear end respectively when doing each bar/bushings/links. What is the best location to place the jack stands?

Above is the information I could find. If you have more information, would be appreciated.

Any help? Thank you.

2011 Ford Explorer.
Am changing out the front and rear sway bars, bushings and end links and cannot find a video on the front sway bar bushings and rear sway bar. I found plenty of videos on the end links.

Torque Settings:

Front:

Ford Explorer Stabilizer Bar brackets Torque Spec : 52 ft-lbs

Ford Explorer Stabilizer Endlinks Torque Spec : 18 ft-lbs

Rear:

Ford Explorer Rear Stabilizer to Frame Bolts Torque Spec : 41 ft-lbs

Ford Explorer Rear Stabilizer Endlinks Torque Specs : 22 ft-lbs

Tools:
Sockets and wrenchs: 7mm, 10mm, 17mm, 22mm

I have all the OEM replacement parts, but need information on how to remove front bushings and rear bar since the bushings are made into the bar.

I'll assume it is best to jack up the entire front end and rear end respectively when doing each bar/bushings/links. What is the best location to place the jack stands?

Above is the information I could find. If you have more information, would be appreciated.

Any help? Thank you.
bump for op. imo you can jack up the whole vehicle or just front and rear seperately

Put the stands on the frame, not on any suspension part. Snug fit the new parts while its in the air, then put it on the ground and torque it there.

The original reason I posted was because my 2011 Explorer had pop crunch sounds coming from the suspension. I first had my friends shop change out the front shocks and this did not fix it. We looked over the rest of the suspension trying to narrow down the noise and determined it could either be the sway bar bushings and end links or the lower control arm. The cheaper option being the sway bar parts. Ordered all OEM front and rear sway bar bushings and links and the rear shocks to keep the suspension age the same. Also ended up having my friends shop install them and this fixed the problem. The noise was more prevalent from the front, but the rear was also giving the same noise when we bounced the suspension while parked. The auto tech found that when removing the drivers side front link it snapped off at the lower bushing.
The whole job had the Explorer on a lift. I watched them remove the rear sway bar as it has the bushing built in and they removed it out the passenger side by turning it in different directions in order to pull it out from the exhaust without taking anything else loose.

Back