2011 Ford Explorer Limited Engine. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer Limited Engine.

pitt777

Reaction score
City, State
Bossier City, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 Ford Explorer Limited
Hello to all....Got a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited with a 3.5 with oil cooler/ non turbo/ Vin 8. Looking at swapping a 2013 Ford explorer 3.5 Vin 8 into it. All auto stores and Junk yards show compatibility only with 2011-2012. Researching shows that all parts are the same except the oil pan, So question is anyone aware if switching the oil pan would work. Following parts are the same as far as I can ascertain.

Engine Block
Cylinder Heads
Throttle Body
Crank Sensor
Crankshaft Sensor
Coils
Flywheel
Fuel Injectors
Intake manifold ...Lower and Upper.
Engine Mounts
Front timing cover
Engine Rebuild kit.

Does anyone know if this will work? Thanks in advance

Update:
Found this on Ford website:

Cylinder Block P/N 6009. Same for 2011-2013
Usage: Gaskets and Additional parts must be purchased separately. Oil Pan and Pickup must be serviced separately if required .11/01/2010 to 02/06/2012. The way I am reading it, is the oil pan and pick up tube would need to replaced for those years. (Swapped). Please verify with a professional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I read a post that mentioned that the 2011-12 do not have an engine oil cooler while the 2013+ does. Also found the following although it doesn't appear to be very helpful. Engine compatibility 2012-2013
If buying a used engine it might be a good idea to replace the internal water pump and timing chain before installing it.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I read a post that mentioned that the 2011-12 do not have an engine oil cooler while the 2013+ does. Also found the following although it doesn't appear to be very helpful. Engine compatibility 2012-2013
If buying a used engine it might be a good idea to replace the internal water pump and timing chain before installing it.

Peter
Thanks for the welcome...actually that was right on point...seems its a no-go... Thanks a bunch.

Hello to all....Got a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited with a 3.5 with oil cooler/ non turbo/ Vin 8. Looking at swapping a 2013 Ford explorer 3.5 Vin 8 into it. All auto stores and Junk yards show compatibility only with 2011-2012. Researching shows that all parts are the same except the oil pan, So question is anyone aware if switching the oil pan would work. Following parts are the same as far as I can ascertain.

Engine Block
Cylinder Heads
Throttle Body
Crank Sensor
Crankshaft Sensor
Coils
Flywheel
Fuel Injectors
Intake manifold ...Lower and Upper.
Engine Mounts
Front timing cover
Engine Rebuild kit.

Does anyone know if this will work? Thanks in advance

Update:
Found this on Ford website:

Cylinder Block P/N 6009. Same for 2011-2013
Usage: Gaskets and Additional parts must be purchased separately. Oil Pan and Pickup must be serviced separately if required .11/01/2010 to 02/06/2012. The way I am reading it, is the oil pan and pick up tube would need to replaced for those years. (Swapped). Please verify with a professional.
We share alot with the SHO, here's something to read. Not sure if it answers your question 100% however:

2010 to 2015 sho engine swap

Op was looking for non turbo to non turbo I believe.
Well, aren't you the smartest guy in the room...

I'm giving him additional tools that may be beneficial for a change as drastic as he's asking about. Block, trans and many of the physical components are very similar, not to mention, processes and lessons-learned could be gleaned from the information...or not.

Well, aren't you the smartest guy in the room...

I'm giving him additional tools that may be beneficial for a change as drastic as he's asking about. Block, trans and many of the physical components are very similar, not to mention, processes and lessons-learned could be gleaned from the information...or not.
Just was clarifying it...no need to be rude.

Back