2007 Explorer Limited engine Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Limited engine Replacement

Mij302

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Hello all, and nice to meet you-
I just bought an 07 explorer limited with a 4.6 and it might need an engine. If someone could answer this question for me I would be very grateful. I can get my hands on a 4.6 motor out of the same year F150. will it drop right in or are they different in some way? Thanks for any help

should be the same 3 valve engine. as long as its a 07 f150. with vgts on it, which it should be.

The 4.6 V8 engine in your Explorer is a 3 valve engine that is quite powerfull and economical with a lot of features to make it that way: 2 inlet valves and one exhaust valve; variable camshaft timing; variable intake runner control; increased compression ratio; etc.

The 4.6 V8 in the 2007 F150 is a 2 valve engine which is a lot less powerfull. The F150 did not get the 4.6 liter 3 valve engine untill 2009. The two engines are quite different and are not interchangeable.

Sorry.

Second the Town post,

the 5.4 from 07 F150 would be more compatible with your 4.6 if it fit the bay :)

The 4.6 2 v is the old design, it was in explorers (in similar form) from 2001-2005

Back