2012 Ex LTD 4WD review - 1400 miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ex LTD 4WD review - 1400 miles

EKY

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 LTD 4WD
Review of 2012 Explorer Limited 4WD
301A
BLIS + Inflatable rear seatbelts
Polished Wheels
Black on Black

I took delivery on November 17th I just hit 1400 miles today.

Prior company car – 2006 Mercury Montego Premier
Prior company car – 2008 Ford Taurus X
Prior personal car – 2006 A-Spec Acura RL (Just sold it)

Overall – Huge improvement in overall design and features compared to my previous FordMoCo vehicles. So huge it pushed me to sell my personal vehicle, as the Ex is pretty loaded with a lot of bells and whistles.

Design – Everyone tastes differ but in my opinion, I think it’s a good blend of rugged and sleek. Somewhat of an oxymoron but I love the way the Ex looks on the road. My only complaint is the black cladding on the bottom around the vehicle. Over time it will become faded and/or white from waxes. I’m presuming it will come painted as the new model years roll off the line.

MFT - *Knock on Wood* I have not had any reboots or the black screen of death. It does operate sluggishly at times. At times I find it more of an inconvenience rather than a convenience. I do have several suggestions for future versions to make it more user friendly:
  • iPod – I wish there was a way to view all songs in the playlist you are currently in. (See other thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340023 )
  • iPod – I always have my iPod connected and never disconnect it although sometimes it does not recognize the iPod or reindexes all the songs.
  • Switching between CD and iPod – If I try to switch to the “iPod” on the MFT screen, it says “Reindexing songs” and I am unable to select the device. However I can choose and play the device from the right side of the dashboard screen. Odd.
  • Navigation – I wish there was a way for a passenger to enter addresses or destinations while driving.
  • Volume Control Wheel on center stack – My suggestion would be to have another sort of wheel similar to the volume control....to scroll through the MFT screen rather than clicking the up/down arrows on the screen.

Engine - It has adequate power for a vehicle of its size. It has pretty good pick up when you need it. I ‘m very satisfied with the engine. Overall I have been getting about 18.5 mpg with a good mix of highway and city driving.

Ride – The ride is great on roads with the exception of speed bumps. If the speed bump is not smooth and contoured, I can feel the vibration through the chassis, steering wheel, and gas pedal. I also hear a sight crunch occasionally. There are also rattles somewhere around the center stack which I'm thinking is the lid for the area to plug in your iPod.

Interior – It’s a great looking interior. There’s some definite improvement in quality materials such as the padding in the door panels, the dash etc…

Positives –
  • Great looking and better quality materials used
  • BLIS is great. I love the cross traffic alert when in reverse
  • I appreciate the telescopic steering wheel
  • Double decked glove box is appreciated
  • Pushbutton start / keyless entry is great
  • I like how the seat pushed back automatically when the car is shut off. (however it would be great if the seat could lower as well for ease of exiting the vehicle)

Complaints – These are minor quirks but annoyances:
  • Hazard button is located directly below the MFT screen and I’ve activated the hazards twice by accident when resting my hand on the edge. Yes I was resting my hand there because MFT was operating sluggishly
  • Windshield wiper stalk – The steering wheel blocks the hash marks on the wiper stalk. I never know what setting I’m on. The only way is to lean sideways and look which requires me to take my eyes off the road for longer than I’d like. In Hawaii it rains quite often off and on. When driving over the mountain range you could have a variety of sprinkles, showers, or downpours throughout the entire highway stretch. So I’m always varying my wiper speed when driving. Not being able to see the setting is bothersome.
  • Power fold third row buttons – Impossible to see at night. I have to use my iPhone to light up the area. Not very helpful if your hands are already carrying items and you just want to fold the seat.
  • The left side of the dash screen does not revert back to your previous display IF you switch to manual mode on the transmission and back to “D” (Not a major issue as I was just playing with the manual mode)

Fit and Finish
  • Misalignment of the door/dash
  • Carpeting under the seats looks unfinished with the flaps sticking out around the floor airvents and wiring
  • Rear plastic piece around the powerfold buttons in the cargo area is flimsy and loose
  • A pillar rattle
  • Channel under the roof rails should either be covered or at least make the paint smooth. It looks very unfinished.

Overall, this Explorer is a huge step forward for Ford and I’m still impressed. However Ford still has to improve upon minor interior fit/finish and usability. For a $45k vehicle, I would think the consumer wants a well rounded, high quality, and usable vehicle. Ford is almost there and will get there soon in my opinion.

P.S. - I also want to thank Cory and Seni for answering my requests for order status updates throughout the ordering process. I appreciate it very much.

Aloha,
Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just compleated my 1st 1000 miles today very pleased previous car was a 2006 lincoln mark lt ,i think it is a good value but remember it is not a 45k car it is a 27k car with 19k in options now goforth and enjoy it appears you will only drive a couple of years
brianj

...P.S. - I also want to thank Cory and Seni for answering my requests for order status updates throughout the ordering process. I appreciate it very much...
You’re very welcome, Eric. :) A big thanks to you for taking the time to post that.

I have your Explorer’s info, so please don’t hesitate to shoot a PM if you ever need my help.

Cory

EKY - thanks for helpful review. Please update us with mpg and other feedback as you add miles.

but remember it is not a 45k car it is a 27k car with 19k in options now goforth and enjoy it appears you will only drive a couple of years
brianj

If it truely costs only $27K, no body should complain here. Unfortunately, it still costs $45k for many present and future owners, and it does not feel that expensive in term of quality. That is the problem.

Review of 2012 Explorer Limited 4WD
301A
BLIS + Inflatable rear seatbelts
Polished Wheels
Black on Black

I took delivery on November 17th I just hit 1400 miles today.

Prior company car – 2006 Mercury Montego Premier
Prior company car – 2008 Ford Taurus X
Prior personal car – 2006 A-Spec Acura RL (Just sold it)

Overall – Huge improvement in overall design and features compared to my previous FordMoCo vehicles. So huge it pushed me to sell my personal vehicle, as the Ex is pretty loaded with a lot of bells and whistles.

Design – Everyone tastes differ but in my opinion, I think it’s a good blend of rugged and sleek. Somewhat of an oxymoron but I love the way the Ex looks on the road. My only complaint is the black cladding on the bottom around the vehicle. Over time it will become faded and/or white from waxes. I’m presuming it will come painted as the new model years roll off the line.

MFT - *Knock on Wood* I have not had any reboots or the black screen of death. It does operate sluggishly at times. At times I find it more of an inconvenience rather than a convenience. I do have several suggestions for future versions to make it more user friendly:
  • iPod – I wish there was a way to view all songs in the playlist you are currently in. (See other thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340023 )
  • iPod – I always have my iPod connected and never disconnect it although sometimes it does not recognize the iPod or reindexes all the songs.
  • Switching between CD and iPod – If I try to switch to the “iPod” on the MFT screen, it says “Reindexing songs” and I am unable to select the device. However I can choose and play the device from the right side of the dashboard screen. Odd.
  • Navigation – I wish there was a way for a passenger to enter addresses or destinations while driving.
  • Volume Control Wheel on center stack – My suggestion would be to have another sort of wheel similar to the volume control....to scroll through the MFT screen rather than clicking the up/down arrows on the screen.

Engine - It has adequate power for a vehicle of its size. It has pretty good pick up when you need it. I ‘m very satisfied with the engine. Overall I have been getting about 18.5 mpg with a good mix of highway and city driving.

Ride – The ride is great on roads with the exception of speed bumps. If the speed bump is not smooth and contoured, I can feel the vibration through the chassis, steering wheel, and gas pedal. I also hear a sight crunch occasionally. There are also rattles somewhere around the center stack which I'm thinking is the lid for the area to plug in your iPod.

Interior – It’s a great looking interior. There’s some definite improvement in quality materials such as the padding in the door panels, the dash etc…

Positives –
  • Great looking and better quality materials used
  • BLIS is great. I love the cross traffic alert when in reverse
  • I appreciate the telescopic steering wheel
  • Double decked glove box is appreciated
  • Pushbutton start / keyless entry is great
  • I like how the seat pushed back automatically when the car is shut off. (however it would be great if the seat could lower as well for ease of exiting the vehicle)

Complaints – These are minor quirks but annoyances:
  • Hazard button is located directly below the MFT screen and I’ve activated the hazards twice by accident when resting my hand on the edge. Yes I was resting my hand there because MFT was operating sluggishly
  • Windshield wiper stalk – The steering wheel blocks the hash marks on the wiper stalk. I never know what setting I’m on. The only way is to lean sideways and look which requires me to take my eyes off the road for longer than I’d like. In Hawaii it rains quite often off and on. When driving over the mountain range you could have a variety of sprinkles, showers, or downpours throughout the entire highway stretch. So I’m always varying my wiper speed when driving. Not being able to see the setting is bothersome.
  • Power fold third row buttons – Impossible to see at night. I have to use my iPhone to light up the area. Not very helpful if your hands are already carrying items and you just want to fold the seat.
  • The left side of the dash screen does not revert back to your previous display IF you switch to manual mode on the transmission and back to “D” (Not a major issue as I was just playing with the manual mode)

Fit and Finish
  • Misalignment of the door/dash
  • Carpeting under the seats looks unfinished with the flaps sticking out around the floor airvents and wiring
  • Rear plastic piece around the powerfold buttons in the cargo area is flimsy and loose
  • A pillar rattle
  • Channel under the roof rails should either be covered or at least make the paint smooth. It looks very unfinished.

Overall, this Explorer is a huge step forward for Ford and I’m still impressed. However Ford still has to improve upon minor interior fit/finish and usability. For a $45k vehicle, I would think the consumer wants a well rounded, high quality, and usable vehicle. Ford is almost there and will get there soon in my opinion.

P.S. - I also want to thank Cory and Seni for answering my requests for order status updates throughout the ordering process. I appreciate it very much.

Aloha,
Eric
re: cargo light issue, I agree completely. I found a good, battery-powered, motion-detecting light that I bought on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJKLT4/ref=oh_o05_s01_i00_details ) for about $10 and it works great. Has about a one minute delay, senses the hatch opening and turns on by itself. No worries about forgetting and leaving it on. I mounted it on the lower right side panel just below the subwoofer, so it shines to the left and lights that whole rear area and the seat-stowing switches. I mounted it with a velcro setup so I could remover to replace the batteries, but I suspect they will last a long time since the light is never on for very long..

Back