2012 Explorer 2.0 Ecoboost No Power and Trouble Starting. No check engine light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer 2.0 Ecoboost No Power and Trouble Starting. No check engine light

Buster76

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
Howdy all,

Was planning on going home for Thanksgiving after work but ran into some issues.
I went to start the car and it turned over for a couple seconds before finally starting, never had that happen before. It wasn’t incredibly delayed to start but probably a good 2-3 seconds and caught my attention.
Got on the road and noticed an extreme loss of power. It’s like the car isn’t making any boost at all, past 2K RPM it just drags along really struggling to gain speed or RPM until it shifts. The turbo lag I’m used to is almost completely gone now too.
There are no check engine lights

Obviously I started googling and came here, tried to check some hoses under the car in the parking lot and was able to get to one tightened but couldn’t really see or reach more. Cleaned battery and removed terminal. Tried to restart car and got the same couple seconds of the car trying to turn over before starting.
Another thread suggested it could be the fuel pump going out, which makes sense for the car turning over and not starting, but how does that affect the big loss of power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Were those hoses you checked the ones for the turbos? I'm not familiar with where they are located. Have you been able to check for trouble codes ? That might be a good place to start if indeed there are any.

Peter

Honestly had trouble looking for the hoses to the turbo. Looks like the turbo is mounted on the back of the engine and all sorts of stuff had it covered up back there. Pretty hard to see.

If there’s no check engine light would there still be codes to read? Just take it to autozone I assume?

Alright tried to make the drive home and was full throttle for 60 seconds and couldn’t even get to 60 mph. Luckily during that adventure the check engine light came on and I got the codes scanned.

P0087 Fuel Rail/system pressure - too low
P0171 too lean

So I’m assuming now it’s the high pressure fuel pump. Don’t know if it’s something I should have a pro do or just do myself.

Back