• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer order info HELP!!

Fordvirgin

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Ford Explorer Limited
I placed an order for a 2012 Explorer in Sterling Grey loaded with every option there is on Sept 30th from a small town dealership in Alberta, Canada. I thought I would call the dealer today to see if there is any news on the progress of that order.
From reading this Forum I figured he would have something to tell me...an order number or possibly the DORA to make it easier to track myself. My salesman told me they don't get the DORA until they have a serial number & that usually takes a month. is that true? From what I have read here, they should have that report a few days after the order is placed.
He did give me an order number... A letter and 3 numbers...does that sound right?
When we placed the order this salesman told us 4-6 weeks for delivery and after everything was signed etc. the finance lady told us 12-16 weeks! I'm getting a bit worried and would love my new 4X4 before the snow starts to fly!
Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Send a private message to FordCustSrvc with the order number and dealer name you bought it from and they should be able to give you an update.

The 4 digit number is correct.

I placed an order last first week of Sept. I'm also from AB. It took about 6 weeks for the vehicle to arrive here in calgary. It just got here two days ago. You'll get the VIN after two weeks and after a week the vehicle will be in production. Send a PM to Cory, she can help you track your order. When I sent her a PM I only gave her dealer and the vehicle information.

I placed an order for a 2012 Explorer in Sterling Grey loaded with every option there is on Sept 30th from a small town dealership in Alberta, Canada. I thought I would call the dealer today to see if there is any news on the progress of that order.
From reading this Forum I figured he would have something to tell me...an order number or possibly the DORA to make it easier to track myself. My salesman told me they don't get the DORA until they have a serial number & that usually takes a month. is that true? From what I have read here, they should have that report a few days after the order is placed.
He did give me an order number... A letter and 3 numbers...does that sound right?
When we placed the order this salesman told us 4-6 weeks for delivery and after everything was signed etc. the finance lady told us 12-16 weeks! I'm getting a bit worried and would love my new 4X4 before the snow starts to fly!
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info. What about the DORA? Am I getting the run around or does the dealer really not have it? It has been 3 weeks and no VIN number. I am just outside of Calgary. I'm beginning to wonder if it would have been a better idea to order from the city at a larger dealership. I don't know if that would really matter or not?
I have passed my order number and dealer name to Cory so I'll wait for a reply!

I don't know what's a DORA. I don't think the order are processed based on a dealer. I think it would be on the priority and the time of order. I suggest to wait for Cory's reply. I also had doubt if the dealer ordered my vehicle so I asked for Cory's help to track it by just giving her the vehicle information and dealer code. If you have the order no she can search for it easily you just need to wait for sure she'll send you a reply in 2-4 days.

Thanks for the info. What about the DORA? Am I getting the run around or does the dealer really not have it? It has been 3 weeks and no VIN number. I am just outside of Calgary. I'm beginning to wonder if it would have been a better idea to order from the city at a larger dealership. I don't know if that would really matter or not?
I have passed my order number and dealer name to Cory so I'll wait for a reply!

DORA - Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement

If you got the 4 digit order number from them, they have the DORA. I received a scan of it the day after I placed the order at the dealer.

DORA - Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement

If you got the 4 digit order number from them, they have the DORA. I received a scan of it the day after I placed the order at the dealer.

Same here (Ontario) - received it Monday after order placed in mid September - though still don't have delivery/production dates (linked to order priority and production scheduling)

Huh...stopped by and spoke to my salesman today and he insists he doesn't get the DORA until he has a VIN #. He's a bit of a greenhorn...just started 3 months ago so I guess I'll try the manager on Monday. Thanks again!

Hi Fordvirgin,

Did you get VIN #? The salesman gave me the similar order number: A letter and 3 numbers, but still no VIN # for me. I made the order on 9/30.

Huh...stopped by and spoke to my salesman today and he insists he doesn't get the DORA until he has a VIN #. He's a bit of a greenhorn...just started 3 months ago so I guess I'll try the manager on Monday. Thanks again!

I did get a VIN a week ago. The build date isn't scheduled until the week of the 14th and even worse...it's ETA at the dealer is Dec 18! I'm hoping it's ALOT sooner than that. Good luck with your order... It is very frustrating I know!

Update...it's HERE!!
But once again it was me who had to do the searching to find that out!! Unbelievable!!
It was delivered Nov 30 and no one called...that was almost 5 days ago!
I happened to call Ford Customer Service today for an update and they were confussed as to why I didn't have it. They advised me to contact my dealer. I did and they said "oh...didn't anyone call you? Yes it is here...when would you like to pick it up?"
I even saw the transporter delivering it as I happened to drive by the dealer last week. Since no one called I just assumed is was someone elses...I am so mad!
I thought that I was doing the right thing ordering from my hometown dealer but I hope they realize they won't be seeing me again once I pick it up. I will be getting my servicing done elsewhere.

Update...it's HERE!!
But once again it was me who had to do the searching to find that out!! Unbelievable!!
It was delivered Nov 30 and no one called...that was almost 5 days ago!
I happened to call Ford Customer Service today for an update and they were confussed as to why I didn't have it. They advised me to contact my dealer. I did and they said "oh...didn't anyone call you? Yes it is here...when would you like to pick it up?"
I even saw the transporter delivering it as I happened to drive by the dealer last week. Since no one called I just assumed is was someone elses...I am so mad!
I thought that I was doing the right thing ordering from my hometown dealer but I hope they realize they won't be seeing me again once I pick it up. I will be getting my servicing done elsewhere.

When you get your post sale Customer Survey make sure you take the time to fill it out regardless of how negative you may have to be.

Ford of Canada does read them and someone will follow up with the Dealer.

Your brand new vehicle sitting at the dealership for 5 days is unacceptable.....you should have been phoned when it was being unloaded off the truck.

Where do you get this Customer Survey from? Was the dealership supposed to give it to us when we picked up our Explorer or does it come in the mail/email? I haven't seen anything yet.

Where do you get this Customer Survey from? Was the dealership supposed to give it to us when we picked up our Explorer or does it come in the mail/email? I haven't seen anything yet.

I got an email with a link to the survey.

Maybe call Ford Customer Service

Back