2012 Limited - Limited slip differential concern! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Limited - Limited slip differential concern!

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited - loaded
Amongst other issues like the A-Pillar rattle and the MFT challenges, there is a MAJOR concern that I have happening to my new 2012 Explorer Limited.

I think the issue is with the Limited Slip Differential sensor on the front wheels of my 4WD model. Although it only happens occasionally, approx 2 - 4 times a week randomly, one of the trucks front wheels just vibrates for a second or two while driving. The yellow caution 'sliding car' light in the dash fires at the same pace as the vibration on the wheel that is firing. The feeling is that of driving over rumble strips on the side of some of the highways when you are too close to the shoulder, or like I'm driving over something but just with that particular wheel. This happens under perfect driving conditions with dry warm weather with nothing on the roads (No pot holes, no water, no grease, no obstruction.... nothing!!). It's like it just has a mind of its own. My concern is that I cannot recreate this with the service manager as it is so intermittent that a ride-a-long is pointless.

This all started with the front right wheel, but this weekend it happened on the front left wheel?? I'm concerned for the safety of the truck as the truck slightly pulls in the direction of the firing wheel (Kind of like the felling of an anti-lock brake going off) when this happens. I'm also concerned with what damage this is doing to the truck as this happens when I have my foot on the gas cruising between 30 - 60 km's/hr. Since the truck is new, and I hope for a long running life, I am very conscious to keep the RPM around 2000 when driving.

I know I'm not doing anything wrong while driving, so what could this be, and more importantly, what should I do to have this resolved???? Is there a sensor information option in the truck that will detect this issue and notify the service dept at the dealership?

Please help Ford... This is the 2nd new model I have in the Explorer as my 2011 was traded in for having so many issues.

I love the truck, but the initial reliability is very disconcerting!

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That warning is the AdvanceTrac (Stability Control). Do you get the same problem with the AdvanceTrac turned off?

Amongst other issues like the A-Pillar rattle and the MFT challenges, there is a MAJOR concern that I have happening to my new 2012 Explorer Limited.

I think the issue is with the Limited Slip Differential sensor on the front wheels of my 4WD model. Although it only happens occasionally, approx 2 - 4 times a week randomly, one of the trucks front wheels just vibrates for a second or two while driving. The yellow caution 'sliding car' light in the dash fires at the same pace as the vibration on the wheel that is firing. The feeling is that of driving over rumble strips on the side of some of the highways when you are too close to the shoulder, or like I'm driving over something but just with that particular wheel. This happens under perfect driving conditions with dry warm weather with nothing on the roads (No pot holes, no water, no grease, no obstruction.... nothing!!). It's like it just has a mind of its own. My concern is that I cannot recreate this with the service manager as it is so intermittent that a ride-a-long is pointless.

This all started with the front right wheel, but this weekend it happened on the front left wheel?? I'm concerned for the safety of the truck as the truck slightly pulls in the direction of the firing wheel (Kind of like the felling of an anti-lock brake going off) when this happens. I'm also concerned with what damage this is doing to the truck as this happens when I have my foot on the gas cruising between 30 - 60 km's/hr. Since the truck is new, and I hope for a long running life, I am very conscious to keep the RPM around 2000 when driving.

I know I'm not doing anything wrong while driving, so what could this be, and more importantly, what should I do to have this resolved???? Is there a sensor information option in the truck that will detect this issue and notify the service dept at the dealership?

Please help Ford... This is the 2nd new model I have in the Explorer as my 2011 was traded in for having so many issues.

I love the truck, but the initial reliability is very disconcerting!

Thanks!!

I had the same problem a while back. It happened while I was turning and it pulled the vehicle to a certain direction creating a torque steer effect. The dealer replaced some kind of sensor. Definitely try to record it whenever it happens.

Thanks Peterk9 and 1995E. I will mention this to the dealer.

1995E, do you happen to still have the service receipt of the part change? I would like to reference the actual part when discussion the issue with the service manager.

Cheers!

...Please help Ford... This is the 2nd new model I have in the Explorer as my 2011 was traded in for having so many issues.

I love the truck, but the initial reliability is very disconcerting!...
bladerunner123,

Have you had a chance to call the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673? I highly recommend speaking with an agent about your concern.

Cory

Thanks for bringing this up. I am still trying to find any way of reliably reproducing the vibration in my Ex that Ford claims is "normal". The one thought I have had recently is that it may be more likely to happen after higher-than-normal lateral loads, like taking an on-ramp at higher than normal speeds. I have one on ramp that I take pretty fast and I always notice the vibration for a minute or two thereafter. I've also thought I felt something unusual after some low speed hard turns.

I have one on ramp that I take pretty fast and I always notice the vibration for a minute or two thereafter. I've also thought I felt something unusual after some low speed hard turns.
I wonder if what you initially feel is the Explorer's curve control kicking in?

Mine issue happens whenever it wants to. Straight line, accelerating, cruising, slight bend in the road. I started logging the frequency and I took the truck out 6 times this weekend and it happened 4 times.

Cory, I will call the Ford CS and see what they say.

Mine issue happens whenever it wants to. Straight line, accelerating, cruising, slight bend in the road. I started logging the frequency and I took the truck out 6 times this weekend and it happened 4 times.

Cory, I will call the Ford CS and see what they say.
That sounds great, bladerunner123. I really want to see this taken care of.

Cory

I wonder if what you initially feel is the Explorer's curve control kicking in?

My understanding of the dynamic stability control systems is limited, but that they act through throttle or brake actions and would not be likely to cause any sort of vibration- unless they were malfunctioning which could be the case in mine I suppose.

The idea that pops into my head is that some suspension piece is not fully seated or tightened and the higher loads in cornering or some random combination of minor jolts from the pavement cause it to move a bit, throwing the suspension out of wack a bit until it vibrates back into position. Obviously not very technical...

Cory,

How am I supposed to get this issue resolved when I drive the dealer and they tell me to reproduce the faulty sensor issue...?? I don't know when it happens, it just happens!

The dealer said: 'even if there was a sensor causing a miss-fire it will not damage the system' I'm thinking to myself... 'yeah, it won;t cause damage until after my warranty expires!

Also, I started to notice that faint burning smell in the truck like I've seen on other posts.

An additional question I have is; Where do I go to find out what recalls FORD has actually listed as fixable problems with definite solutions?

Thanks

...How am I supposed to get this issue resolved when I drive the dealer and they tell me to reproduce the faulty sensor issue...?? I don't know when it happens, it just happens!...
bladerunner123,

Have you called the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 to get further assistance? If you already have, please let me know via PM with what they said.

Cory

Hi Cory,

I'm not sure how to do a PM at this point as there is no option on my screen..? I must not be looking in the right area.

As for the Sensor issue with the ABS or LSD (What ever it is), I called the Canadian CS and they were nice and told me that I need to visit the dealer expose the problem. As I was talking with the CS rep (I was driving at the time) the same 'miss-fire' happened. She again just said to visit the dealer.

After going to the dealer they were also nice and had a service tech drive the truck around the block. Of course the sensor did not misfire in the short trip and they told me not to worry about it, and that even if it was misfiring it was not damaging anything. I was told to go back if it got worse, or if I could replicate it for them and they would look into it. They hooked the truck up for a diagnostic check and nothing popped up. So, they did nothing.

That's where I currently stand with this ongoing issue. The miss-firing has now gone to the left front wheel too.

Let me know what I should do at this point.

Thanks for your reply.

Click Cory's red user name (FordCustSvc), then from the dropdown, click "Send a private message to FordCustSvc"

Hi Cory,

I'm not sure how to do a PM at this point as there is no option on my screen..? I must not be looking in the right area...Thanks for your reply.
Click Cory's red user name (FordCustSvc), then from the dropdown, click "Send a private message to FordCustSvc"
bladerunner123,

Joe hit the nail on the head. Shoot me a PM and I’ll lend a hand.

Thanks, Joe; you’re quick! :D

Cory

I'm not quick, just at work, and the only work I actually do at work is surf EF. :D

Back