2013 Explorer Limited - Check Engine Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Limited - Check Engine Light

Haleymo37

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hello - I have a 2013 Explorer Limited. The "check engine" light came on last week and has not gone off.

I ran the on board diagnostic that is sent to syncmyride.com and it showed "The powertrain control module has detected an evaporative emission control system fault." The tool told me to consult the manual, which advised:
"These temporary malfunctions can be corrected by filling the fuel tank
with good quality fuel, properly closing the fuel fill inlet or letting the
electrical system dry out. After three driving cycles without these or any
other temporary malfunctions present, the service engine soon indicator
should stay off the next time the engine is started."

I've filled the tank and driven several cycles and the light is still illuminated. The capless fuel inlet does not appear to have any openings or damage.

Advice or thoughts? I'd love to avoid taking it to the dealer only to be charged at least $100 just to determine what's "wrong."

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you manage to get a trouble code (DTC) number? Perhaps there is a code stored that can be retrieved. There are a few threads here with 'Check Engine Light' issues so a code would be handy to try and find if there was a previous report.

Peter

Without the cel code, everything is a guess. Get it scanned first. Could be spider webs in your vent tube for the fuel tank, could be a sensor. No idea without the code.

even if this isn't the problem its a good idea to lube the capless fuel filler once in a while

Back