2013 PIU Remote Keyless Locks and Start Procedure | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 PIU Remote Keyless Locks and Start Procedure

Hello All,
I have converted my 2013 Police Utility Explorer to accept the remote lock and start functions. This procedure was verified for my vehicle. My VIN is 1FM5K8AR1DGA723XX and here was my procedure. It took a lot of digging around the forums so I thought I would share this in one place. I am not a Ford Tech and changing Hex Values in your vehicle can lead to problems and /or damage. I am not responsible for any damage by using this information.
These are the steps that I followed.
1. Ordered
bbfly-BF32302 USB modified FTDI chip OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows ELMconfig Forscan HS-CAN / MS-CAN Ford Mazda OBD2
from amazon for $22.97 plus shipping. This is the USB type of interface (ELM327) and has the built in HS (High Speed) and MS (Middle Speed) toggle switch needed to completely load all values of the Forscan program. I choose this one because the others are wireless and I did not want to interrupt the programing by loss of signal or power. By the way, when using Forscan with your laptop, do not let the corner of the laptop hit the "on" radio button on the center console. The energizing of the radio causes the Forscan program to stop.
2. Ordered
OEM 2013 2014 2015 FORD EXPLORER 5B KEYLESS REMOTE START UNCUT KEY 164-R8000

OEM REMOTE NOT CHEAP CHINESE KNOCKOFF
from eBay for $59.99. This is the 5 button Ford remote key blank. DO NOT HAVE THIS KEY CUT UNTIL THE LAST STEP.
3. Ordered
BRAND NEW OEM REMOTE START HOOD SWITCH SENSOR FORD 2011-14 EDGE 2011-13 EXPLORER
from eBay for $22.80. I have not received this item yet but I have installed a jumper wire under the hood as a temporary test.This hood switch preforms an interlock to prevent the starting of the engine if the hood is in the open position. Note: Before purchasing this item verify that your vehicle has the wiring plug in the engine compartment. It is located in the engine compartment near the front on the driver's side headlight/fender area.
You will need a laptop computer and Forscan software to continue this install.
4. Go to the Forscan website WWW.FORSCAN.ORG and download the free version under the toolbar "Download". The one to download is "FORScan version 2.3.12 beta for Windows". Once installed go to the next step.
5. Connect your laptop using the interface switch cable to your OBD Link plug. Run the forscan program with the regular ignition key in the "ON" position. The program is user friendly and prompts you along the way. It will create and save an as built file for your VIN. It will also generate a program hardware ID number. Look around the program and get familiar with it. Now disconnect it from your truck. Note: I went to the Ford Fleet website and downloaded my VIN As Built and made a hard copy in case I had a programing problem. Go to
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuiltI to get your as built.
6. Go back to the internet to the the Forscan website and register for the free 2 month license. Click the "Link to Extended License key generator". After you register they will email you notifying that you account is activated. This took a day in my case.
7. Go back to the forscan website and load the license key .
Now you are ready to program the car.
8. Connect as in step 5. The program will prompt and guild you with set up. Make sure that you are not in the demo mode. The demo mode is under the "sprocket" icon on the left side tool bar.
9. Enable the keyless remote in the program. This is under the regular BdyCM. Now hit the play button.
10. Go to the "computer chip" icon and highlight BdyCM Module (As Built) Body Code under the Configuration and Program tab. Hit the play button and look at line 720-01-03 and change it to 808A 0000B5 (Yes B5, some info on the forums say 35 but B5 is correct for my vehicle). Hit Write and follow the prompts.
11. Go to the "computer chip" icon and highlight IPC Module As Built. Hit the play button and look at 726-18-01 and change it to 0100 0005 4C. Hit Write and follow the prompts.
12. Turn off program and disconnect.
13. Install the hood switch. It is located near the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side near the headlight. Or make a test jumper from a short piece of wire and insert it into the female side of the plug once you have disconnected it from the dummy end.
14. Once these changes have been made, you’ll need to program the blank key(s). The instructions I found are as follows:
Close the driver’s door, then using the buttons on the driver’s door lock, unlock, lock, and unlock the doors.
Cycle the ignition key off to on 8 times, ending with the key on.
The locks should now cycle. Each time this happens you have 20 seconds to complete the next action.
Press any button on the first remote, the locks will cycle to confirm.
Press any button on the second remote, the locks will cycle to confirm.
Continue with any additional remotes (up to 4 total, I believe) or turn the key off to exit programming mode. The locks will cycle again to confirm leaving programming mode.
15. Reconnect laptop and OBD2, turn regular ignition key to the "ON" position. Load the forscan program.
16. Go to the "computer chip" icon on left side tool bar and highlight BdyCM Module (As Built)Body Code under the Configuration and Program tab. Change code value 726-19-01 to Enable, 0148, follow the prompt instructions and then disconnect the laptop and interface.
17. Your remote start should now be able to work. Press the "lock" button once then press the center button twice. The truck should start. If there is a problem the horn will sound once and headlights lights will flash.
18. Once verified that the remote key functions, take the key blank to the locksmith and have it cut. It cost me $8 to have this done.
19. Remove test jumper and install hood switch.
This was how I did my truck, I programed the lock/unlock first to make sure the remote key worked before proceeding to the remote start programming. My key works for a good distance. Hopes this helps, your mileage may vary.....
hello , do you have the new codes for the 16 and later models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello , do you have the new codes for the 16 and later models?
You don't need the codes, go into the BdyCTM Menu, not the As Built menu, and it has simple dropdown menus for enabling features. I enabled keyless and remote start doing it that way.

Thanks for the amazing writeup and suggestions everyone. I just accomplished this today, and it all works perfectly. In case someone wants to do this themselves, I followed the directions on the first post, except instead of using the "BdyCM As-Built", I just went into the "BdyCM" page, and you can change values with a simple dropdown selector, and not have to worry about blindly changing values, it was super easy!
Here's what I bought, and I have a 2014 Police Interceptor Utility 3.5EB with Sync.
So for a total of $65, I now have keyless entry and remote start. If you have everything before you start, it may take you an hour to do all of this, but probably closer to 15 minutes unless you meander around inside ForScan finding other fun things you can change!
Hi,
it sounds very nice, especially since I can't manually program the remote keys and I only got one fleet from the police (seller) (and now I have new keys, exactly the same as you indicated :)
(Photo) Request: where exactly should I install the sensor Hood Switch ?

There's a little blank spot on the trim near the driver side that has the cable attached below. Just remove the cable, then you can pop the blank out, replace it with the switch and plug it in. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

engine.jpg

There's a little blank spot on the trim near the driver side that has the cable attached below. Just remove the cable, then you can pop the blank out, replace it with the switch and plug it in. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

View attachment 427205
Thanks a lot, it will make my search easier;)

In the first post # 1 (Trader 0000) he wrote that in points 13 and 19 the same, does it matter when I connect the sensor? Can I replace the jumper test with the installation of the sensor (as in step 13)?

View attachment 427205
Hi,
Can you help, I can't find the place Technerd is writing about,
For me it looks like in the pictures. (You can see the cable there, but this is the fog lamp harness)
Remote start sensor2.jpeg

Remote start sensor.jpeg

I would say the switch would mount where the opening is in the top left of the 2nd picture. Here is a picture of it in a 2018 Explorer. Look at the middle right for that little rubber "Christmas tree" by the Airaid filter.

Peter

1646929327270.png

I would say the switch would mount where the opening is in the top left of the 2nd picture. Here is a picture of it in a 2018 Explorer. Look at the middle right for that little rubber "Christmas tree" by the Airaid filter.

Peter

View attachment 427248

Ok Peter thx,
I don't think I understood Technerd;) sorry,
I thought there should be a wire to which I would connect the sensor, but the cable is not there. The plug is gone, the hole is there and nothing else. Could it have been removed?
(Sorry if the questions seem trivial):
How, then, does the Remote Hood Sensor communicate with the car ignition / engine? Wired or wireless?
If I don't have a wire there, where should it go and be connected?
Thanks to everyone for your help;)

It has to be wired in. How exactly, I don't know.

Peter

is changing the codes still necessary for remote start? it looks like it was added as an option to just enable?

is changing the codes still necessary for remote start? it looks like it was added as an option to just enable?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you go to the website and put in your info for checking compatibility, it comes back and says;

"This part is not compatible with this 2014 Ford Police Interceptor Utility Base Sport Utility 4-Door 3.7L 3726CC 227Cu. In. V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated".

Peter

Hello All,
I have converted my 2013 Police Utility Explorer to accept the remote lock and start functions. This procedure was verified for my vehicle. My VIN is 1FM5K8AR1DGA723XX and here was my procedure. It took a lot of digging around the forums so I thought I would share this in one place. I am not a Ford Tech and changing Hex Values in your vehicle can lead to problems and /or damage. I am not responsible for any damage by using this information.
1. Ordered
bbfly-BF32302 USB modified FTDI chip OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows ELMconfig Forscan HS-CAN / MS-CAN Ford Mazda OBD2
from amazon for $22.97 plus shipping. This is the USB type of interface (ELM327) and has the built in HS (High Speed) and MS (Middle Speed) toggle switch needed to completely load all values of the Forscan program. I choose this one because the others are wireless and I did not want to interrupt the programing by loss of signal or power. By the way, when using Forscan with your laptop, do not let the corner of the laptop hit the "on" radio button on the center console. The energizing of the radio causes the Forscan program to stop.
2. Ordered

from eBay for $59.99. This is the 5 button Ford remote key blank. DO NOT HAVE THIS KEY CUT UNTIL THE LAST STEP.
3. Ordered
BRAND NEW OEM REMOTE START HOOD SWITCH SENSOR FORD 2011-14 EDGE 2011-13 EXPLORER
from eBay for $22.80. I have not received this item yet but I have installed a jumper wire under the hood as a temporary test.This hood switch preforms an interlock to prevent the starting of the engine if the hood is in the open position. Note: Before purchasing this item verify that your vehicle has the wiring plug in the engine compartment. It is located in the engine compartment near the front on the driver's side headlight/fender area.
4. Go to the Forscan website WWW.FORSCAN.ORG and download the free version under the toolbar "Download". The one to download is "FORScan version 2.3.12 beta for Windows". Once installed go to the next step.
5. Connect your laptop using the interface switch cable to your OBD Link plug. Run the forscan program with the regular ignition key in the "ON" position. The program is user friendly and prompts you along the way. It will create and save an as built file for your VIN. It will also generate a program hardware ID number. Look around the program and get familiar with it. Now disconnect it from your truck. Note: I went to the Ford Fleet website and downloaded my VIN As Built and made a hard copy in case I had a programing problem. Go to
6. Go back to the internet to the the Forscan website and register for the free 2 month license. Click the "Link to Extended License key generator". After you register they will email you notifying that you account is activated. This took a day in my case.
8. Connect as in step 5. The program will prompt and guild you with set up. Make sure that you are not in the demo mode. The demo mode is under the "sprocket" icon on the left side tool bar.
9. Enable the keyless remote in the program. This is under the regular BdyCM. Now hit the play button.
10. Go to the "computer chip" icon and highlight BdyCM Module (As Built) Body Code under the Configuration and Program tab. Hit the play button and look at line 720-01-03 and change it to 808A 0000B5 (Yes B5, some info on the forums say 35 but B5 is correct for my vehicle). Hit Write and follow the prompts.
11. Go to the "computer chip" icon and highlight IPC Module As Built. Hit the play button and look at 726-18-01 and change it to 0100 0005 4C. Hit Write and follow the prompts.
13. Install the hood switch. It is located near the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side near the headlight. Or make a test jumper from a short piece of wire and insert it into the female side of the plug once you have disconnected it from the dummy end.
14. Once these changes have been made, you’ll need to program the blank key(s). The instructions I found are as follows:
Close the driver’s door, then using the buttons on the driver’s door lock, unlock, lock, and unlock the doors.
The locks should now cycle. Each time this happens you have 20 seconds to complete the next action.
Continue with any additional remotes (up to 4 total, I believe) or turn the key off to exit programming mode. The locks will cycle again to confirm leaving programming mode.
15. Reconnect laptop and OBD2, turn regular ignition key to the "ON" position. Load the forscan program.
16. Go to the "computer chip" icon on left side tool bar and highlight BdyCM Module (As Built)Body Code under the Configuration and Program tab. Change code value 726-19-01 to Enable, 0148, follow the prompt instructions and then disconnect the laptop and interface.
17. Your remote start should now be able to work. Press the "lock" button once then press the center button twice. The truck should start. If there is a problem the horn will sound once and headlights lights will flash.
18. Once verified that the remote key functions, take the key blank to the locksmith and have it cut. It cost me $8 to have this done.
This was how I did my truck, I programed the lock/unlock first to make sure the remote key worked before proceeding to the remote start programming. My key works for a good distance. Hopes this helps, your mileage may vary.....
I just did as instructed on my 2015 PIU after purchasing a Lock/Unlock fob $70 from the dealer and it works now. Thanks for the assistance.

bought mx+ on amazon $139 plus tax
can connect on win11 to explorer PIU PCM is visible but BCM is not showing on mine
tried everything including different laptops etc, nope not works for me. i get 2 months license also,
on 3 different andorid paired torque fusion all works but forscan do not works
is obdlink mx+ do not have access or what?
and how download ford module to forscan? ver : 2.3.48 for windows girrr :(
Thanks for this topic anyway very good info

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

bought mx+ on amazon $139 plus tax
can connect on win11 to explorer PIU PCM is visible but BCM is not showing on mine
tried everything including different laptops etc, nope not works for me. i get 2 months license also,
on 3 different andorid paired torque fusion all works but forscan do not works
is obdlink mx+ do not have access or what?
and how download ford module to forscan? ver : 2.3.48 for windows girrr :(
Thanks for this topic anyway very good info
Thanks Peter
all done but remote start without ac/heat meaningless all codes around confusing
mine was due to already licensed to another cheap Bluetooth obd and now corrected and forscan answer instantly almost,
so i can confirm MX+ work overall but still do not understand how add free ads-on modules to MX+
anyone able turn on ac when remote start i did start and turn of car it is started but lights are green only no blows until you insert and turk manuel key,
Thanks this forum great clean info
now have blind spot and traffic system fault lol turned on too many things :)
parking aid disabled front collison disabled all related disabled but can not get rid of message here we go ?
and PIU turned off alot of things rediculusly
even AWD ???

Hello All,
1. Ordered
2. Ordered

3. Ordered
I do have a question, I installed the remote start and it works perfect. However is there a way in the software to not have the heater and defroster kick on.

I do have a question, I installed the remote start and it works perfect. However is there a way in the software to not have the heater and defroster kick on.
forscan IPC module have this options for PIU 2014
however AC or climate on do not blows weird turns on only... or i could not figure out it, (fixed now leave ac on when stop car than remote start bingo will contunie where you left)
blinds spot warning goes of if parking aid and front collision etc, turns off
I just load factory build and goes from one by one again,
now need a center console (ebay $470 rediculus)
Global close and global open turned enabled but from remote doesnt work (after push lock or inlock more than 2 sec)
anyone able to do this (5 button remote as in first entry)
ANYONE KNOW THIS FOR 2103 ESCAPE SE ?????
(look at escape forum not find any info and there is no 5 button fob anywhere )

You need to turn on the remote start in Forscan, if memory serves under IPC...then on the instrument panel you can have it operate either as "automatic", where it will try to get the interior to around 70 degrees...or "last setting" which puts the HVAC controls where the were when the vehicle was last turned off.

The "automatic" setting is the default.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here we go
all good but single hit at middle button run car right away how to make this two hit or at least after lock
my son run the car from home 5 time lol he liked it i guess (2 years old zippy bear)

Back