2013 Sport - do I have a "PTU with cooler"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport - do I have a "PTU with cooler"?

gday

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport +402A
Callsign
VK2XOC
I'm trying to replace a cable on my 2013 Sport which has the factory tow package. The cable I need is offered in two variations. One part includes a vehicle with "Power Take off Unit With Cooler" and the other "Less Transmission Power Take Off". Multiple web sites say that both parts are compatible with my vin which is clearly incorrect.

How can I verify if I have a "Power Take off Unit With Cooler"?
or
What variations of a 2013 Sport would not have had a "Power Take off Unit With Cooler"?

Is this something that the tow package would have included?

-mick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to replace a cable on my 2013 Sport which has the factory tow package. The cable I need is offered in two variations. One part includes a vehicle with "Power Take off Unit With Cooler" and the other "Less Transmission Power Take Off". Multiple web sites say that both parts are compatible with my vin which is clearly incorrect.

or
What variations of a 2013 Sport would not have had a "Power Take off Unit With Cooler"?

-mick

There is no physical cooler. The front air cut out in the lower valance is the "cooler" on the Sport model. There is some ducting directing air to the PTU. What is the cable you are referring to?

There is no physical cooler. The front air cut out in the lower valance is the "cooler" on the Sport model. There is some ducting directing air to the PTU. What is the cable you are referring to?
Temp sensor for PTU

or

-mick
PTU With Cooler Work With Coolant Hose, Only Need Is Send A PIC For For You PTU Unit

There is most certainly a physical cooler on some PTUs. It is a watercooling jacket that circulates engine coolant.
With cooler: DB5Z-7251-F
Without cooler: AT4Z-7251-G

The lower radiator hose has hoses running to the cooled PTU.

Fritz

Never seen a 2013 Sport with a physical cooler. My car has every option - no physical cooler.

I have seen these coolers on newer models and think it may be standard on SHO PP models

"Battery cable harness" - routes to many sensors. Part DB5Z-14300-D is "Less Transmission Power Take Off" and part DB5Z-14300-E is with "Power Take off Unit With Cooler". The cable connects to a bunch of sensors and I assume the "PTU with cooler" contains an additional sensor which the cable needs to support. Both cables are listed as valid for my 2013 Sport.

Update: I suspect I'm over thinking this. The wiring diagram shows an optional connecter C1831 for a PTO temp sensor in the "Battery cable harness". The "cooler" appears to be something bolted to the passenger side of the PTO but contains no additional sensor. So it seems that the cable choice really boils down to if the vehicle has a PTO or not. What is throwing me off is how a Sport could not come with a PTO ie is the "Less Transmission Power Take Off" an option for the Sport. Can a Sport be 2WD? - that has to be an error??

-mick

I'm not sure on this but one thing I recommend is to not buy it from Ford parts if you want to save $$. Each one below is $125 more at Ford parts,
Is the PTO the same as a PTU? That has been asked before and I don't believe a definitive answer was posted. I believe they are the same thing.
The Sport does not come in a 2WD version.
BTW, Benny at Levittown offers a discount t o Forum members.

Peter

I'm not sure on this but one thing I recommend is to not buy it from Ford parts if you want to save $$. Each one below is $125 more at Ford parts,
Is the PTO the same as a PTU? That has been asked before and I don't believe a definitive answer was posted. I believe they are the same thing.
The Sport does not come in a 2WD version.
BTW, Benny at Levittown offers a discount t o Forum members.

Peter
Same and even Ford appears to be inconsistent. Sometimes its "Power Take off Unit" or "Power Takeoff Unit" = PTU and sometimes just "Power Take Off" = PTO.

-mick

Back