Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
2014 Black Grill Overlay

Where can I get a black overlay? I see the Chrome ones but we purchased a Platinum White XLT and my wife really wants the black grill on it.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum ARS1.:wavey:
Did you check out the threads in the 'sticky' section above?
Looking at www.fordparts.com, it looks like buying the parts (8200A, 8200B and 8200C) will come to about $1500 plus some paint for 8200C.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 Black Grill Overlay

Where can I get a black overlay? I see the Chrome ones but we purchased a Platinum White XLT and my wife really wants the black grill on it.

Thanks

Plasticoat it like lots of forum members here have done, then you can remove it later if you don't like it.

The SPORT grill is all black and I believe Levitt Superstore on this site had it for around $600

I'm looking at something like this but in black. I'm familiar with plasti dip but I really don't want to go that route on a brand new vehicle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explorer-2011-2012-2013-Chrome-Grille-Overlay-NEW-/350702767497

642379376_o.jpg

It looks like that is held on by 3M industrial tape?
Actually looks pretty nice!!

Let me know how you make out as I might follow the same route.

I might contact the seller and see if they can do it in black. If not I will probably just get one and having worked in the collision industry for a while before just do a quality satin black finish on it.

Will most certainly post pics and updates!

I might contact the seller and see if they can do it in black. If not I will probably just get one and having worked in the collision industry for a while before just do a quality satin black finish on it.

Will most certainly post pics and updates!

Sounds good.
The chrome would be my first choice though.
In my opinion the Limited needs a bit more distinction from the other models and I think this would do the trick.

Sounds good.
The chrome would be my first choice though.
In my opinion the Limited needs a bit more distinction from the other models and I think this would do the trick.
It already does. It has a colour coordinated grille. I would be interested in see a chrome one though.

Peter

It already does. It has a colour coordinated grille. I would be interested in see a chrome one though.

Peter
This one is White Platinum with a silver grill. If it were color matched it may be different but the silver on white is just too much in the front. It needs some contrast.

11773901365_d04c586fd4_b.jpg

Peter

I understand that, however a full chrome grill would probably be the best distinction. :D

I understand that, however a full chrome grill would probably be the best distinction. :D

Not a fan of "Bling"... Pretty much anything chrome will end up blacked out or color matched at some point.

I feel the same way I have a 2013 platinum white limited and the white grill bothers me.

As you can see from some of the posts, not everyone shares everyones opinion.
I have the platinum white Limited with the white grille. I like it but I think I like the fact that the Base and XLT come with a silver coloured grille. I like the contrast of the silver to the body colour but yet there are members who have this combo who would like to colour match the grille. Then there are those that like the Black grille. You are never going to get a clear consensus on this topic IMO.

Peter

Does anyone want to trade a silver and chrome grille, like the one pictured above, for a black and chrome grille? I really like the looks of the black grill on the white vehicle.

Does anyone want to trade a silver and chrome grille, like the one pictured above, for a black and chrome grille? I really like the looks of the black grill on the white vehicle.
There is no OEM black and chrome grille. The only black grille is on the Sport and it doesn't have chrome. In fact the Sport grille is a bit different as well. See post 2 in the following thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389175&highlight=Sport+grill

Peter

peterk9, Doesn't the black Limited have a black and chrome grille? Maybe what I saw was already modified.

peterk9, Doesn't the black Limited have a black and chrome grille? Maybe what I saw was already modified.
There is only one black grille on all Sport models regardless of the body colour.
If you are talking about the black and chrome, perhaps the following thread is the one you saw;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400333
As you can see, it is a different grille than the one in the link I provided above in post 15.

Peter

There is only one black grille on all Sport models regardless of the body colour.
If you are talking about the black and chrome, perhaps the following thread is the one you saw;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400333
As you can see, it is a different grille than the one in the link I provided above in post 15.

Peter

From what i can tell, The limited has a black and chrome grill, just like the one pictured in the thread Peter linked.

2012-Ford-Explorer-Limited-Black.jpeg

The sport however does have a different black grill. as mention and posted earlier.

Emblem-07.jpg

This one is White Platinum with a silver grill. If it were color matched it may be different but the silver on white is just too much in the front. It needs some contrast.

11773901365_d04c586fd4_b.jpg

Isn't that a XLT with the optional 20" polished wheels?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back