2014 Black Grill Overlay? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Black Grill Overlay?

Or the non color-matched side view mirrors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is indeed an XLT with the 20" wheels

Also I did decide to go with the plasti dip for the time being. It actually looks awesome especially if you use Meguires natural shine on it which also has a uv protectant that will prolong the life of it.

11998826795_f6fa42b0b3_b.jpg

11999644526_3b657d263d_b.jpg

Looks great! Nice job, def the most inexpensive route.

Looks great! Nice job, def the most inexpensive route.

I used a whole can just on the grill so it's on there good and thick :cool:

The more I look at it the more I like it. Just wish that they would come outwith that on the Limited. Would also like to pass along your pics to my salesman if you have no objections.:)

Peter

The more I look at it the more I like it. Just wish that they would come outwith that on the Limited. Would also like to pass along your pics to my salesman if you have no objections.:)

Peter

No objections here :D

That looks awesome. Is that the actual grille coated?
I was thinking of taking one of the chrome grill inserts from Ebay and coating it.

List of all four black grills for the Explorer.

There is no OEM black and chrome grille. The only black grille is on the Sport and it doesn't have chrome. In fact the Sport grille is a bit different as well. See post 2 in the following thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389175&highlight=Sport+grill

Peter

Allow me to set the record straight. It's not my intention to put anyone down as a lot of people are simply not aware of all the variants.

Including all models from 2011 - 2014 there are a total of four black grills. I will list them bellow.

1. Explorer sport. All black no chrome

2. Explorer limited in tuxedo black. Black with chrome accents

3. Police interceptor utility 2012 - 2013. Looks like the sport grill but is Matte black

4. Police interceptor utility 2014+. Matte black honeycomb grill. Looks like the crown vic P71 interceptor grill but bigger.

Allow me to set the record straight. It's not my intention to put anyone down as a lot of people are simply not aware of all the variants.

Including all models from 2011 - 2014 there are a total of four black grills. I will list them bellow.

1. Explorer sport. All black no chrome

2. Explorer limited in tuxedo black. Black with chrome accents

3. Police interceptor utility 2012 - 2013. Looks like the sport grill but is Matte black

4. Police interceptor utility 2014+. Matte black honeycomb grill. Looks like the crown vic P71 interceptor grill but bigger.
I guess I should have clarrified I was actually referring to just the regular Explorer models, not counting the Police units. I guess I overlooked the colour matched grille on the Tuxedo Black Limited. Oops.

Peter

No not an oops like I said most people are unaware of all the variants. What I'm saying is there are four options if you wish to purches a black grill. I included the PIU grills as there will be a lot of them in the market soon from wrecked police vehicles and even more when departments start selling used interceptor utility's.

Also I did decide to go with the plasti dip for the time being. It actually looks awesome especially if you use Meguires natural shine on it which also has a uv protectant that will prolong the life of it.

11998826795_f6fa42b0b3_b.jpg

11999644526_3b657d263d_b.jpg
[/QUOT

That looks fantastic! I'm on it.

I think leaving the 2 chrome strips gives it a more 'classy' look.:thumbsup:

Peter

I agree!!!
I hate chrome, thats, why I bought a Limited with body colored grill. The two thin strips don't bother me (yet) but the chrome door handles had to go (painted body color.

Not a fan of "Bling"... Pretty much anything chrome will end up blacked out or color matched at some point.

I agree!!!
I hate chrome, thats, why I bought a Limited with body colored grill. The two thin strips don't bother me (yet) but the chrome door handles had to go (painted body color.

You can always remove the grille, and take the whole grille assembly apart. Then send those chrome strips off to the painter :)

I just picked up my 2012 yesterday, same color scheme as yours, including the grille. What were the steps you used to paint your grille? Is the chrome removable? Any advice would be appreciated.

I just picked up my 2012 yesterday, same color scheme as yours, including the grille. What were the steps you used to paint your grille? Is the chrome removable? Any advice would be appreciated.
FYI, ARS1 was last seen here February 27, 2015.

Peter

I did mine the same way. I removed the grill (there's a thread on it), removed the chrome strips which are held on by tabs, and the Ford oval. I cleaned the grill, and sprayed with black Plasti-Dip. I used a whole can, followed by Plasti-dip glossifier.

I discovered on mine that many of the tabs on the chrome strips were broken, so I ended up replacing both pieces.

16388404_10155045448108826_1151252413954208106_n.jpg

19905308_10155600360863826_4612627837581353909_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job, when you do it like that it looks like it came that way from the factory.

Back