2014 Ex Sport Front and rear brake job advice needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ex Sport Front and rear brake job advice needed

mikecombs66

Reaction score
City, State
Aventura, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
The dealer just told me that my front and rear brakes are worn I need to be replaced I'm wondering which pads I should put ceramic or OEM original do I need to replace the rotors or have them turned what is involved On this particular model?

Some cars require new rotors with new pads and some don't. I do not have any brake shudder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

asking about brake pads is like asking about witch oil to use, endless discussion with everyone having their favorite
As for the rotors, they all have a minimum thickness stamped on it, If they are at or below, they need to be changed, otherwise they don't
Turning rotors is never a good idea because you are removing material ( thickness )
Also, grooves ( to a point ) are normal so don't let anyone tel you that you need new rotors because they don't look brand new
Just ask your dealer what are the minimum thickness and what they measured ( and ask to keep the old ones if changed)
My experience is that mechanics/dealers see brake jobs as an easy profit center and have no ethical issues in upselling the work to the customer

The dealer just told me that my front and rear brakes are worn I need to be replaced I'm wondering which pads I should put ceramic or OEM original do I need to replace the rotors or have them turned what is involved On this particular model?

Some cars require new rotors with new pads and some don't. I do not have any brake shudder.
Found this using the 'Search' feature. Not sure if it will help. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/oem-or-aftermarket-brakes.444559/
If the dealer does the work the pads are free.

Peter

Peter.
There is no such thing as "free" pads or "free" shipping. You, the customer still pay for it but it's not a separate line item. "included" should be the term used
This is nothing more than marketing speak, not reality

Peter.
There is no such thing as "free" pads or "free" shipping. You, the customer still pay for it but it's not a separate line item. "included" should be the term used
This is nothing more than marketing speak, not reality
Very much aware of that.

Back