2014 Exhaust Upgrade Question: Size and Offset>>> | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Exhaust Upgrade Question: Size and Offset>>>

Well, went ahead and removed the 3rd cat and mid resonator. Heres how it looks so far. Tone is much deeper, waiting to see if the interior is gonna get any louder.

20141003_134128_zpskfz2a8ut.jpg

Sectioned removed
20141003_133524_zpsobk7g4pw.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, went ahead and removed the 3rd cat and mid resonator. Heres how it looks so far. Tone is much deeper, waiting to see if the interior is gonna get any louder.

Hey gns30,

How do you like it now that you've had some time without the res in? I have an appointment to get the same Flowmasters Darren has and am thinking I could stand the system to be a bit louder than what it sounds like from his video. I'll likely start with the back to muffs only, take her out for a drive and see how that is.

The guy at the exhaust shop cautioned me as he said he worked on a flex with the ecoboost and removed the front muff and "upgraded" the rears - apparently the owner took for a drive and said that he had a noticeable LOSS in power. Wondering what that could be all about maybe just an odd thing that a simple battery disconnect would fix?

I ended up putting the front muffler back in, its straight through anyways and doesn't hurt flow. The truck had way to much drone noise in the cabin without it at the 1800-2000 range, ie highway speeds,haha. I left the rear/third cat out though and with this combo I'm loving it so far! No drone, nice growl and plenty of power. I thought I noticed a little power loss down low but it may just be in my head, when you put your foot in it though those turbos spool up so much faster and it puts you in your seat! I didn't reset the battery though so it may have just taken some time for the ECU to relearn.

Hey guys,

So I got the same flows as Darren installed (except I went with the non-stainless as I'm not in a snow climate).

It's a little quieter than I would like BUT still worlds better than stock. I did not go the route of having the front muffler taken out or replacing it with something else... The guy was willing to drop in straight pipe for me and let me test it out but I just didn't have time to do all that today and I was worried about drone - maybe I will revisit another day.

I don't really notice any performance increase at all, but I wasn't really expecting a gain that I could feel anyway. I can hear the air intake sucking in a lot better now which is kinda cool.

That is it for now - now I just gotta work on getting a tuner again and I'll be good for a while!

Hi guys

Does any of you have the tow package ?

I want to do an exhaust upgrade but I am worried about clearance because of tow package.

Also my X is an XLT

Thanks

Back