2014 Explorer Jolt/Vibration When Shifting Between PRND | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Jolt/Vibration When Shifting Between PRND

JohnelP

Reaction score
City, State
bbbbbbbbbbb
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2013
XLT 4wd
Hi,
(Did try the search feature, but the returned threads do not cover the 2011 to 2019 models).
Only when I start the car. After it moves, it does not do any more. When changing from Park position to Reverse, then to Neutral, then to Drive and also if I go back to Neutral -> Reverse and Park it has a strong jolt (short strong vibration) at every transition. Practically, every shift has the jolt. After the car moves, it is not that bad.
I did not feel anything about gear shifts problem during driving.
A search trends the solenoid pack/block as the problem, but it seems to apply to previous models, not current model. Can it be the same thing on the 2014 models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
By reading your post it seems that you did not narrow your search to just the 5th generation Forum since it only covers 2011 - 2018 Explorers. After clicking on 'Search' select 'More' and then on the following page select 'Search Threads and Posts' and type in what you want to look for and go down to the 'Search in Forum' box with the various sub forums and select one of the sub forums for the 5th generation Explorer and then select 'Display results as threads'.
There is a TSB here about sluggish take-off followed by a harsh 'bump' but that only applied to 2011 models. I don't know why you would get anything when shifting into Neutral as the transmission is not engaging any gears. There are some posts about harsh shifts while driving but yours seems to be different.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you

Peter

Visited the dealer for this. He said it is a solenoid problem most likely. Something like a faulty solenoid creates some unbalanced pressure distributions, or allows too much pressure to build??? Didn't get all his explanations.
Anyway, he said the solenoids can be changed separately, and you do not need to take the transmission out to change the solenoid. so you do not need to spend a year salary to fix.
However, doing some internet research, found the common story for these symptoms to be a "mechatronics failure". As I read, so many scary stories about not flushing the transmission fluid on time, I asked the dealer to do a transmission fluid flush. Service advisor was surprisingly honest. He told me will not fix the problem, but still, I wanted to have some peace of mind given the car has 65k miles. Since it is not that bad, and drives fine, I decided to postpone the fix unless it gets worse.

Visited the dealer for this. He said it is a solenoid problem most likely. Something like a faulty solenoid creates some unbalanced pressure distributions, or allows too much pressure to build??? Didn't get all his explanations.
Anyway, he said the solenoids can be changed separately, and you do not need to take the transmission out to change the solenoid. so you do not need to spend a year salary to fix.
However, doing some internet research, found the common story for these symptoms to be a "mechatronics failure". As I read, so many scary stories about not flushing the transmission fluid on time, I asked the dealer to do a transmission fluid flush. Service advisor was surprisingly honest. He told me will not fix the problem, but still, I wanted to have some peace of mind given the car has 65k miles. Since it is not that bad, and drives fine, I decided to postpone the fix unless it gets worse.

As previously rerquested, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you

Peter

Ford trans problems are not a new issue - many stories on the web of various issues and fixes from flush, to parts replacement, to full trans rebuild/replacement. Fusion has a similar TSB for harsh shifts/shift flares that applies to 2013 and earlier, but many with 2014 and newer fusions with same trans have claimed they are having same shift issues.

Some theorize that its just solenoids and a reprogram while others say the valve body passages wear (aluminum vs steel valves) and you need to replace the entire valve body/solenoid pack - others have had their trans rebuilt/replaced by Ford (some under warranty, some customer pay).

On my 2014 fusion with 6F35 trans, I had a harsh R engagement and 2-3 shift flare - had to pull the valve body and replace a couple of solenoids and the separator plate (check balls just about wore through the plate and was apparently causing pressure issues).

Good luck.

Back