2014 Explorer owner and wheel noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer owner and wheel noise

m_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Greetings everyone!
We are now an owner of a 2014 XLT. We are excited to replace our old van with this SUV. It has been three weeks since we purchased it. In the past two weeks, the explorer has developed this sound that sounds like a helicopter or thumping. The sound does change with the speed and you can hear it at low speed too. I didn't notice this sound when I test drove it. No issues at all. Part of the purchase condition was to replace broken one of the fog light. Which they replaced both after a week at no charge.

I have so far rotated the tires thinking it was the tires. It seems like the noise is coming from the rear passenger side. I also put the car up on the jack and checked for loose wheels for bearing movements. They were all tight. All the lugs are properly torqued too. The tires are Goodyear Kelly and are practically new. Also, I don't hear the typical noise of bearing when you turn left or right. I drove around the parking lot in a circle :)
This is the only issue that is really annoying on this car, other than, we love the explorer!

Here is a recording of the noise, I posted on youtube:

Any thoughts on this issue will be very helpful.
Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the cv joints still tight and not leaking grease? What happens when you get to speed and shift to neutral? Does the noise stop? Any rocks in the tire tread blocks? It really sounds like rod knock in the engine but I don’t think you would be able to miss that...

Welcome to the Forum m_explorer.:wave:
I did a 'Search' on this Forum on "helicopter noise" and the only other explanation was that it was caused by a rear window being open. I'm guessing that isn't the case here. Did you get any kind of warranty from the dealer? Perhaps take it back and see if they can identify the issue. They could put it on a hoist and see if they can hear where the sound is coming from.
FYI, ome owners have had issues with a loose cowl under windshield that would hum or vibrate at different speeds.

Peter

Greetings everyone!
We are now an owner of a 2014 XLT. We are excited to replace our old van with this SUV. It has been three weeks since we purchased it. In the past two weeks, the explorer has developed this sound that sounds like a helicopter or thumping. The sound does change with the speed and you can hear it at low speed too. I didn't notice this sound when I test drove it. No issues at all. Part of the purchase condition was to replace broken one of the fog light. Which they replaced both after a week at no charge.

I have so far rotated the tires thinking it was the tires. It seems like the noise is coming from the rear passenger side. I also put the car up on the jack and checked for loose wheels for bearing movements. They were all tight. All the lugs are properly torqued too. The tires are Goodyear Kelly and are practically new. Also, I don't hear the typical noise of bearing when you turn left or right. I drove around the parking lot in a circle :)
This is the only issue that is really annoying on this car, other than, we love the explorer!

Here is a recording of the noise, I posted on youtube:

Any thoughts on this issue will be very helpful.
Thank you!

My 14 XLT Had a roaring noise at 48000 turned out they replaced front and rear right side only wheel bearings

Back