2014 Explorer Sport Transmission Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport Transmission Question

SMUstang

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I just posted another thread about issues I'm having with my new 2014 Explorer Sport. I have another question/problem, but I'm not sure if it's actually something wrong with the car.

Whenever I'm driving at low speeds and accelerate up to 40 MPH or less and let off the gas, I feel the transmission shift and the car starts actively slowing down, as if the brakes are being applied. Once the car gets down to about 15 or 20 MPH, I feel the transmission shift again and it's almost like the car lurches forward a bit, and now it coasts as you'd expect without any resistance.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Sport? Is it normal and I'm just being paranoid that something else is wrong, or does this sound like something's up with the transmission?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum SMUstang. :wavey:
The Explorer if left to coast will give you a feeling of 'braking' at around 40mph. This is normal. My MKT does the same thing.

Peter

You are DEFINITELY paranoid. Drive your car and enjoy it. Quit worrying about senseless things!

I just posted another thread about issues I'm having with my new 2014 Explorer Sport. I have another question/problem, but I'm not sure if it's actually something wrong with the car.

Whenever I'm driving at low speeds and accelerate up to 40 MPH or less and let off the gas, I feel the transmission shift and the car starts actively slowing down, as if the brakes are being applied. Once the car gets down to about 15 or 20 MPH, I feel the transmission shift again and it's almost like the car lurches forward a bit, and now it coasts as you'd expect without any resistance.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Sport? Is it normal and I'm just being paranoid that something else is wrong, or does this sound like something's up with the transmission?

That's funny. I was just searching the net for this exact issue. It feels stronger than the engine braking on my boss 302 in with the track key. If this is normal, I'm not sure I like it. Mine is a 2015 sport with about 220 miles. Same exact experience.

Welcome to the Forum Saxyfm17.:wavey:
I first noticed something similar in my previous '09 Highlander. I guess it just takes getting used to. I like it in that I can, under some circumstances, use it to reduce braking by judging the distance to the next stop sign and letting up on the gas accordingly.
Although the following may not come into play with this situation, you may want to give it a quick read;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302522&highlight=ADFSO

Peter

Kinda sounds like the torque converter locking/unlocking. That's likely the "shifting" you are feeling. Normal.

Back