2014 Explorer Steering Shaft Squeal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Steering Shaft Squeal

atilla137

Reaction score
City, State
Beamsville, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer, Ltd.
I had the steering shaft, Lower Shaft - Ford (BB5Z-3B676-C)
replaced under warranty, (CPO) on my 2014 Explorer Ltd., in February of 2020.

I had it inspected because of a squealing (like a high pitched whine) noise that I could hear whenever the steering wheel was turned.
The Explorer is now making the exact same sound and the part is not covered by the 24 months genuine Ford parts warranty because it was replaced under the CPO warranty.

The sounds disappears when I’m driving in rain so I’m wondering if I can possibly lubricate the sound away.
Anyone else experiencing this problem in their Explorer?
And I have to add that it sucks that this replacement part failed so quickly. At least the first one lasted for 6 years!

The Explorer is now making the exact same sound and the part is not covered by the 24 months genuine Ford parts warranty because it was replaced under the CPO warranty.
That doesn't sound right but I'm guessing you confirmed it already. The part was replaced with a genuine Ford replacement part and failed so why should the 24 month part warranty not apply? Perhaps it's because you never had to pay for it but that still makes no sense to me at least.
I don't recall this specific issue being discussed here before.

Peter

That doesn't sound right but I'm guessing you confirmed it already. The part was replaced with a genuine Ford replacement part and failed so why should the 24 month part warranty not apply? Perhaps it's because you never had to pay for it but that still makes no sense to me at least.
I don't recall this specific issue being discussed here before.

Peter
I with you about the warranty! I spoke with a service advisor at a local dealership that said if it’s replaced as a warranty claim it is only covered for sixty days. I don’t know where else to confirm it.

Perhaps try contacting Ford of Canada. There is a Customer Assistance number in the Manual. Whether it will do any good, I don't know.
Perhaps another member has had a similar experience or has knowledge of this warranty, and will join in.
BTW, I've searched the Ford Warranty on parts several times and in different ways using Google and have not found anything mentioning your issue or mention of 60 days only.

Peter

Back