2012 explorer - steering rack replacement info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 explorer - steering rack replacement info

slphawk37

Reaction score
City, State
JOPLIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012, explorer, xlt
My steering rack was replaced Dec 27th 2019 under recall. It died on January 18th 2022. 3 weeks past warranty. Ford charging $1,500+ for the rack + $600+ for labor, plus tax, etc.
Looking to have a local shop replace it. Found various racks online for about $770-$880. My question is: seeing as my last rack lasted just past warranty, is it best to get the $880 version from Ford online which is probably the same that just capped out, or go with a refurbished for $770? Would refurbished be better build quality? Thanks for any guidance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
What is the part number you are looking at?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
What is the part number you are looking at?

Peter
BB5Z-3504-H AND BB5Z-3504-J
Both are for non-autoparking. I believe H may be what I had originally.

I was just seeing if these sites were less expensive. Levittown will give forum members a 10% discount. The Ford parts site shows BB5Z-35040H is on back order. I deleted your VIN.

Peter

I was just seeing if these sites were less expensive. Levittown will give forum members a 10% discount. The Ford parts site shows BB5Z-35040H is on back order. I deleted your VIN.

Peter
Thank you.

Back